Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Benni3

somebody buys a reel to go fishing and then somebody said no your not ;) love that reel,,,,75 years old and looks brand new,,,, ;D

Alto Mare

Beautiful reel Chris, I guess its all about connections...and money of course ;D.
The 10/0 is one of my favorite, I have a few in great shape myself and actually had one just like yours, but got rid of it 4 years ago and yes it is still bothering me  :)
Your collection keeps getting better and better, very nice.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

milne

Chris that is a beauty, nice find, WOW.  the condition !
SO, I did weaken and decide that all those lovely senators on show from everyone, I just had to jump on the 12/0.
It's the first one I've seen bigger than  6/0, Holy  @@@@, I can only imagine how big the 16/0 is, geez,
Anyway, I quickly took a few photo's before her indoors came home, then hid the offending item for the time being,
That was an issue in itself, hiding it and completely upset my shelving plans.
Anyway, here it is, again sorry for the quality of the pics.
I've worked out it's a first generation, also has the coin edge on the handle and other lever. Is it a case of only being able to approximate
The age, or can the handle be a clue as well ?
Of course, i shall be consulting the "book".

cheers
Col

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Maxed Out

I think 1937 was when the 12/0 had no front harness lugs

Your 12/0 is in exceptionally nice condition and hope you continue to find more ancient Penns

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

milne

Thanks Ted,  they really are a thing of beauty when you have them in hand !

Col

oc1

Nice spool of line too.  Looks unused.
-steve

1badf350

WOW Col that is a keeper! What a beautiful first gen!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

Thanks Chris,
                 And a special thanks to you for your help and advice,  very much appreciated.
If ever I get over Stateside, I'm picking that your collection is one worth viewing !!!!

Col

Maxed Out

This 12/0 also represents the first senator with a fishing scene picture plate. Notice the goofy looking boat with a roof over the entire back deck, and side canvas too !!

The 14/0 & 16/0 both had this same tailplate fishing scene
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

milne

A newbie question here.
The line is very loosely wound on my new 12/0 and managed to manipulate it to see the spool looks to be in great condition,
But, I would like to remove it to check the spool out properly etc.
Do you guys leave it off for display or what are peoples thoughts, ??
put it back on or leave the spool empty....
Ted, yes I checked out the side plate closely, it's great when you look at them carefully.

Col

1badf350

It's all your personal preference Col.  If I buy real that has monofilament on it it gets taken off immediately and thrown in the trash. If I buy reel like yours that has nice vintage linen line I reel it onto another reel in order to inspect and clean the spool.  If the reel is it going to be a wall hanger I will put the  old linen line back on it. If it is going to be in the glass display I leave the line off of it. If the spool is in bad shape I will take pics and cover it with the linen line.  This way if I decide to sell it in the future I can show any perspective buyers pictures of the spool condition without having to unwind all the line again.
Again it's all your personal preference. You just have to figure out what's right for you.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: 1badf350 on January 19, 2019, 12:13:43 PM
It's all your personal preference Col.  If I buy real that has monofilament on it it gets taken off immediately and thrown in the trash. If I buy reel like yours that has nice vintage linen line I reel it onto another reel in order to inspect and clean the spool.  If the reel is it going to be a wall hanger I will put the  old linen line back on it. If it is going to be in the glass display I leave the line off of it. If the spool is in bad shape I will take pics and cover it with the linen line.  This way if I decide to sell it in the future I can show any perspective buyers pictures of the spool condition without having to unwind all the line again.
Again it's all your personal preference. You just have to figure out what's right for you.
I do pretty much as Chris does. Nice, old line can make a reel mounted on a rod look much more authentic, but most all of my reels on the shelf are without line. I have saved some of the nicer line on a few of the larger reels, because you can't find that in good shape very easily. I think I have a 9/0 and a 12/0 Senator currently storing line. On each spool there are various types of line - I just tie on to the last line and wind up the new - sometimes it goes back on the spool it came off of after cleaning - Chris' idea of taking a pic of the spool before it gets covered back up is a good one. Most of the line that arrives with a reel is crap and goes in the trash.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector