Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis 710 was a local buy. Box has some issues but I believe this is a time capsul reel that has never been used.

great reel. Very tough to fiind NOS like that. These were usually heavily used. The spools on these are different than all the other Greenies. Careful with them, they will break if over stressed. Seeing one with the sticker still on it is rare.

1badf350

This first generation 6/0 arrived yesterday
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

There was a bonus reel packed in the box with the first gen 6/0.... ;D
A first gen 4/0!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Gman_WC

Very nice. Root beer - foot ball handle and all. It looks to be two tone. Is it part wood?
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Wow, that's a heck of a bonus Chris!

Looks like you're on your way for the first generation complete collection, or maybe you're already there :).
Nice reels!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jeffro

Whoa...  Gotta love those striped torpedos.  Seems the knobs had more character and variety in the earliest days then became more simple and homogeneous as time went on.

54bullseye

Chris
I like the BONUS reel better than the 6/0 1st gen !! The 4/0s seem harder to come by. Another 500 reels and you will have all the Penn's !   Lol     Nice find !    John Taylor

1badf350

-Chris

Maxed Out

I agree with John.....that waffle click 4/0 belongs in the Smithsonian

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

Thanks guys, I'm particularly proud to own these two because they belonged to Ray Hodges.
-Chris

sdlehr

Quote from: 1badf350 on January 27, 2019, 03:02:23 PM
A first gen 4/0!
Let me know if you ever find a second generation 4/0. The smaller reels came in the same configuration from the beginning.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

Quote from: sdlehr on January 28, 2019, 12:30:14 PM
A first gen 4/0!
Let me know if you ever find a second generation 4/0. The smaller reels came in the same configuration from the beginning.

Sid
I have several second generation 4/0 reels. Are you feeling OK this morning Sid? LOL
-Chris

sdlehr

Quote from: 1badf350 on January 28, 2019, 01:32:03 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on January 28, 2019, 12:30:14 PM
A first gen 4/0!

Sid
I have several second generation 4/0 reels. Are you feeling OK this morning Sid? LOL
Dang, it's the 3/0 and smaller that never changed configuration? Sorry Chris, some of the things that were crystal clear in my mind just a year or two ago have started to get a little foggy, I guess. I never wish to be a source of misinformation, I apologize.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Hardy Boy

Got an older Penn 9/0 for $ 60 (Ted said it was a good price) including shipping. Looks like it was never used but there was some pitting on one side of the spool, one ring and the top of the seat other than that it was clean especially the internals. A little cleaning replaced the three stack drag with a five and but it back together, put it on an old fenwick to play with. With that three piece spool will it be OK to spool half full with braid and they fill with mono ??

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!