Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Darin,
your 4/0 may be earlier than 57 (or not) with the logo under the eccentric, I believe I've read here that it migrated up under the lug in the "mid fifties".  I'll defer this comment to anyone here with any real knowledge beyond the one comment I recall having read on the dating of the switch.
Doomed from childhood

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on January 28, 2019, 07:27:09 PM
Darin,
your 4/0 may be earlier than 57 (or not) with the logo under the eccentric, I believe I've read here that it migrated up under the lug in the "mid fifties".  I'll defer this comment to anyone here with any real knowledge beyond the one comment I recall having read on the dating of the switch.
Thanks for the reply, Cutty!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

1badf350

I think the logo move is later. Into the 60s when they started with the 113 logo
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Darin Crofton

Picked up a 10/0 this past weekend for another steal, I love the narrow width compared to the 12/0. Going to clean it up this weekend when I get my new reel work desk, so excited to finally get a work area! Pics to follow . . .

sdlehr

Quote from: Hardy Boy on January 28, 2019, 04:43:49 PMWith that three piece spool will it be OK to spool half full with braid and they fill with mono ??

Yeah, that should be OK. The braid should compress and prevent the mono from blowing the spool out. The standard recommendation I've read is to fill the spool 1/3 full with dacron line and then the rest with mono. I doubt dacron is much more or less compressible than braid line.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

milne

Darin,  That's a great buy  ! well done.
I don't have a 10/0 and wondered where it fits, with regards to size.
So, is it the same diameter as the 12/0 but narrower ?

Col

1badf350

Darin i like your anniversary box. I have one too but its the surf fisherman. The 6/0 anniversary box is the boat fisherman like yours. I never realized or I just don't remember mine being different??
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

...And Chris,
      Those 1st generation Senators are beautiful !!!!

Wow

Col

Darin Crofton

Quote from: 1badf350 on January 28, 2019, 08:43:44 PM
Darin i like your anniversary box. I have one too but its the surf fisherman. The 6/0 anniversary box is the boat fisherman like yours. I never realized or I just don't remember mine being different??

That's really cool to know about the boxes being different, does your 4/0 box have a reel in it?  ;D

Darin Crofton

Quote from: milne on January 28, 2019, 08:40:29 PM
Darin,  That's a great buy  ! well done.

Col
Col,
From what I've learned here, the 10/0 is just a narrowed version on the 12/0, I think that's why Sal likes the 10/0 so much.
Someone more knowledgable can chime in I hope?

foakes

Quote from: Darin Crofton on January 28, 2019, 09:17:19 PM
Quote from: milne on January 28, 2019, 08:40:29 PM
Darin,  That's a great buy  ! well done.

Col
Col,
From what I've learned here, the 10/0 is just a narrowed version on the 12/0, I think that's why Sal likes the 10/0 so much.
Someone more knowledgable can chime in I hope?

Darin is correct —

Of the (10) Senators —

14/0 is a narrow 16/0

10/0 is a narrow 12/0

2/0 is a narrow 3/0

The 9/0, 6/0, 4/0, & 1/0 are all "stand alone" diameters.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

Thank you Fred for clearing that up, I appreciate the education ;D ;D ;D

milne

Thanks Fred,  all clear now.
Some nice eye candy there !

Col

Maxed Out

1958 49M with original box, catalog, and original purchase receipt from June 26 1958.

The box says super mariner, but the reel has deep sea reel endplate. Penn simply melded the 2 together and even some modern day 49L "super mariner" reels have the deep sea side plate.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

AC49

In 1952 Penn introduced the Penn 49 new name of Super Mariner but as Penn is Penn there were plenty Deep Sea Reel sideplates in stock so they used them as they pleased I guess ...

Beautiful Reel there Ted She's a keeper  :)

AC49