Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

1badf350

This '46-'49 era 6/0 came today. She is so mint its crazy!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

sdlehr

Chris, hate to break it to you, but ORCA defines a mint reel as one that has never had line on it.... :) Really.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

Sid, hate to break it to you, but I really dont care. LOL.... :)
Seriously tho shes clean as a whistle
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

sdlehr

CLICK HERE for the ORCA grading system. It doesn't come out and say here what I said about the line, but this reel would grade out an A10 because you can't say it's never been used - because the line is on it..... but practically there is no difference between a mint reel and an A10.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Gman_WC

Looking good and congrats. Minty Fresh!  :D
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

Call it whatever you want to, that's one gorgeous reel!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Great find Chris, thanks for showing, if its not mint, it would be good in my cabinet, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Minty fresh, that's a beauty! Looks like it was spooled and put back in the box.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

milne

Picked up a Silver beach with star drag to go with my non star drag one today.
It's in reasonable condition, will clean up OK for the shelf.
But was surprised on two counts, unlike my non star drag knuckle buster, this one had a waffle type button,
And it turned out to be a lefty !.   Didn't know they existed until I went into Mike's book, introduced in 38, so since it has the waffle clicker
I'm presuming this was a first year model ? BUT, handles not right for that !
So I find I'll now have to look for a RH one now, and a LH non star drag !!!
It doesn't  end this Penn reel collection Caper !!!!

Col

1badf350

-Chris

Gfish

Quote from: sdlehr on January 31, 2019, 11:32:24 PM
CLICK HERE for the ORCA grading system. It doesn't come out and say here what I said about the line, but this reel would grade out an A10 because you can't say it's never been used - because the line is on it..... but practically there is no difference between a mint reel and an A10.
Line ona reel that's never touched salt or freshwater would just help keep the spool pristine lookin. Unless maybe, it was stored outa the box in a humid climate. If it were mine, I'd remove the line to see... Perhaps we needa "AT grading system".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

broadway

Grading reels is super subjective even with guidelines. That's a beauty of a 6/0, Chris. Congrats on your find.
Col, I never heard of a lefty knuckle buster. Wouldn't a knuckle buster work with either hand?
Dom