Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Thanks Dom!
Well I took the line off to inspect the spool. Looks really good. I see no reason to put the line back on so I will save it for something else

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

sdlehr

Wow Chris, very nice! But still not mint :) I guess "Minty" is ok :)
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

Darin Crofton

That reel is beautiful, Chris, great add to your collection buddy!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

milne

Chris,  Stunning !   what ever the grading would be called, still Stunning !
         And a great addition to any collection, well done.......
       That 4/0 with the waffle clicker,  Wow.....

Dom,  I agree, a knuckle buster winds both ways.
           When I realised it was a Lefty, I went into mikes book and in 38 & 39 it's marked as "both" for LH option
        Then from 40-41-42 it's only marked as the 97 as a lefty option.
        Maybe it was just a typo  ?   Or I've just mis read or mis understood.... which is probably more likely.... ;D

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhen I realised it was a Lefty, I went into mikes book and in 38 & 39 it's marked as "both" for LH option
        Then from 40-41-42 it's only marked as the 97 as a lefty option.

The Model 98 would never be marked as a Left Hand drive reel because it has no anti-reverse. Simply turning the reel on the rod allowed for Left Hand operation.

I know everyone calls reels without an anti-reverse "Knuckle Busters" but the true meaning of Knuckle Buster is a reel with no drag, anti-reverse or free spool. The term was coined in the turn of the century in California at the Catalina Tuna Club. Back then many reels were simple winches, so when a tuna grabbed your bait the handle spun like an aircraft propeller. Many fisherman had damaged hands trying to stop or grab the handle.

milne

I scored a mate for my existing tricked out 4/0 special today,
It had been sitting in a shed for a few years and looks as though it may have been converted and not fished.
I have one exactly the same and know what it cost me to trick it up, so for a $50 exchange, I was more than happy.
My one is my go to reel for just about everything in the boat,  and have been thinking of doing another one for some time.
Haven't had a look inside this new one yet, but the seller couldn't give me any info on it apart from that it was in the shed when they
bought the house !!!  So I'll open it up and have a look to see if any mod's were done inside and give it a good service, find another suitable
rod like my other one and I'll be set !!!!
Makes a change from all the vintage ones I've been concentrating on of late....

Col

CooldadE

Sweeeet ! Great find and price...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

milne

Hi cool,
           Yeah, I was wrapped, and a bit embarrassed when he only wanted $50 for it, I actually couldn't reach for my wallet quick enough.
   The one I already have, is a " fished version" of exactly the same !
   I was only recently scouring the forum and looking at randy's offerings, as I wanted a second one doing.......

Col

RowdyW

It couldn't have been laying in the shed for very long because it has the latest style topless Tib frame for use without inner rings on the plates.        Rudy

milne

Ok, thanks Rudy, Haven't compared it to my existing one yet, I will do that next time at the factory.
     The seller said they have had the house for 3-4 years and it was box in the shed where they found it.
    My one I did maybe 7-8 years ago from memory, Gee, maybe longer, I cant remember, will be interesting to compare the reels.

Col

1badf350

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 26, 2019, 06:15:46 AM
QuoteThis 710 was a local buy. Box has some issues but I believe this is a time capsul reel that has never been used.

great reel. Very tough to fiind NOS like that. These were usually heavily used. The spools on these are different than all the other Greenies. Careful with them, they will break if over stressed. Seeing one with the sticker still on it is rare.

Just wanted to point out that there is one of these with box and sticker on the big auction site right now. Its not mine but in case anyone is interested.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Darin Crofton

Found an early pre-numbers 1/0, love these little Senators!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

nelz

Quote from: Darin Crofton on February 07, 2019, 05:09:06 PMFound an early pre-numbers 1/0, love these little Senators!

Didn't know they made un-numbered 1/0's, cool.

1badf350

-Chris