Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Has anyone ever seen a Seagate with such a crooked mold stamp?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Fishy247

That's wild! Looks about 30 degrees off to me. Can't be too many of those around!

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe Penn That shouldn't exist

The reason these were not released has nothing to do with bad feelings of any employee. They were not released because the cost of importing the parts was too expensive. so the entire production stopped. They were sold in Japan by the maker of the parts. Daiwa. The distribution of the remaining Penn stock was done in a few different ways resulting in some of these reels being renamed in the USA and some sold with the Penn designation. The entire process turned out to be very weird. I wrote and article in the Reel News about the history of this particular reel.

Cuttyhunker

Thanks Mike, I know closely held businesses, not being accountable to share holders, do some strange things so Dick's old explanation was plausible for this short lived anomaly.
Doomed from childhood

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks Mike, I know closely held businesses, not being accountable to share holders, do some strange things so Dick's old explanation was plausible for this short lived anomaly.

Yes, The explanation offered by Dick Braunn was a rumor back then. New information changed all that. I did some inquiries with Herbert Henze and he ended that employee rumor. Funny how stories get passed on. Dick was a major contributor for the Reel News article.

1badf350

Flea market score today was a first generation 6/0. She ain't the prettiest girl at the dance but for $35 i couldnt say no.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Penn Chronology

Quotelea market score today was a first generation 6/0. She ain't the prettiest girl at the dance but for $35 i couldnt say no.

$35.00 :o :o :o :o :o

Worth three times that on a bad day. Great score!!!!

Donnyboat

Good Chris well done, after you get to it, we possibly wont reconize it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

54bullseye

I think he is done with it LOL !!!! ;D   John Taylor

Benni3

Chuck

18 bucks for this 501 newellized to a 99!! ;D Excellent interior, some corrosion on exterior. Only issues, base doesn't fit my rod and doesn't have the bottom clamp part, and two small right plate screws for the spacer bars corroded and broke off inside so till have to get them out

Fishy247

If you go to the for sale section on this site, you can find a guy that's selling custom Newell trigger clamps that should work for that reel. Nice score!

Crow

Boy, all you guys are getting some great stuff ! I thought I could pick up some goodies whle we were "down south", but, all I saw were either way  out of my budget....or junk !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

1badf350

I already had all three of the red "anniversary" Senators new in box. I couldnt resist another virgin 114HL  ;D
Is the catalog 36B correct tho? I have catalogs 35A and 37A and I dont see these reels. The only catalog I have that shows them is the 50th anniversary catalog
-Chris

Benni3