Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Darin Crofton

Just picked up a grey monofil, came with an aluminum spool and a grey plastic spool. Doing a full clean up and adding some cf washers if needed. Now I have a green and a grey monofil, pretty neat little reels for sure.
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Penn Chronology

QuoteJust picked up a grey monofil, came with an aluminum spool and a grey plastic spool. Doing a full clean up and adding some cf washers if needed. Now I have a green and a grey monofil, pretty neat little reels for sure.

These are great collectibles. Keep an eye out for different shades of gray coloring. There are a few that were lighter gray than others. Makes for an interesting comparison in a collection.

Darin Crofton

Great advice, Michael, I thought I'd seen a lighter one before, thanks!

milne

Nice find Darin,
                   They clean up really well and stand out on the shelf compared to others.
    I didn't know there were other shades of gray, as mike was saying, (more to collect   sigh ).
  I don't know how hard they are to find, I got lucky, but keep a eye out for the other coloured one, a lipsticked coloured monofil, the smallest of the 3,
they sure look puretty all lined up together on the shelf.

Nice addition Darin

Col

Darin Crofton

Quote from: milne on April 23, 2019, 08:15:56 AM
Nice find Darin,
                   They clean up really well and stand out on the shelf compared to others.
    I didn't know there were other shades of gray, as mike was saying, (more to collect   sigh ).
  I don't know how hard they are to find, I got lucky, but keep a eye out for the other coloured one, a lipsticked coloured monofil, the smallest of the 3,
they sure look puretty all lined up together on the shelf.

Nice addition Darin

Col

Col, Which colored ones do you have? I haven't seen a red one for sale yet, but I've been looking... ;D

milne

Hi Darin, I've got the green, the gray with only a chrome spool and the lipstick one.
        The lipstick one really doesn't photograph well, but it's an amazing colour in the light. The lipstick and green one are pretty minty, but the grey one
     needs a grey spool and it has some pitting on the handle.
 There's something about them Darin, obviously the colours, but they do catch the eye on the shelf.
 It's not the best photo, but here are mine.

Col

Darin Crofton

Those look awesome, Col, thanks for sharing my friend!

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Penn Chronology

Great part of the Penn history

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

The introduction of the "monofil reels" was a total marketing scam....all 3 of these reels were already being made by Penn for many years prior to monofilament popularity

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 23, 2019, 08:23:57 PM
The introduction of the "monofil reels" was a total marketing scam....all 3 of these reels were already being made by Penn for many years prior to monofilament popularity

Ted

I seem to remember seeing an ad where they stated the tolerences were tightened for the new line type. Yeah right...they had the same rings, spools, everything...all used on Beachmasters and Baymasters for years. They sho' nuf was purty though! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Mo, they were exactly the same except for the badging. You need to add the green 109,#9, and 209 and you'll have them all. ..advertised as "colormatic" reels
The 155 is a monofil 25 and every single part is the same

The monofil 26 was in production for many years as a 160, and same with the 27 that was known as a 180. I see no difference in line tolerance on the monofils, so to me it was all a marketing scheme and they continued making all of them for several years even though they were duplicate reels, but with different badging
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

The colored spools are plastic, right? If so, why would that be an enhancement for a reel designed for mono., with the stretching potential of mono. possibly breaking the spool?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!