Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

No.249,,,,,,, :D I think it will clean up,,,,,, ;D

milne

Nice Find Benni,   That's got some character, just as I like them...

Col

1badf350

Been pretty slow lately. I picked up two new ones. First is a very clean Long Beach 60LS with box
The catalogs price a regular 60 at $6.50 from 1938-42 but I dont know when the LS models were made
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

You guys may need to help me date this one. I think its a 1949 first year Surfmaster 100 because of it having no part numbers. Im wondering if that plastic spool is correct
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

mo65

Quote from: 1badf350 on May 08, 2019, 09:16:58 PM
You guys may need to help me date this one. I think its a 1949 first year Surfmaster 100 because of it having no part numbers. Im wondering if that plastic spool is correct

I believe '40 was the first year for the Surfy...and that space age spool is correct. These are great reels...good buy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Quote from: 1badf350 on May 08, 2019, 09:12:34 PM
The catalogs price a regular 60 at $6.50 from 1938-42 but I dont know when the LS models were made

I think the LS models came out in '41. Nice find! 8)

1badf350

Thanks Mo!
-Chris

Benni3

oc1

milne

Hi Chris,
              Sorry I missed your last posts.
 The long beach you found is the same as I found a few months back, I picked up the 60ls & the 65ls  both boxed, but my 60ls has the hex clicker button.
From what I found out, I think it was Ted commenting, was that 40-41 was the last time they used the generic long beach name on the head plate and when they started phasing out the yardage on the reel seat,  really cool looking boxes too....
My 60ls also has the optional reel clamp which was introduced around that time as well, so the consensus was 40-41.
Great find Chris, especially with the box, It's one of my favourite finds....

col

milne

Me again   ;D

Chris, I think you are right about model 100 first year being 49, The Surfmasters were introduced in 40 as mo said, but that was the 150 thru 250 models.
No part numbers could mean it is a first year, I couldn't find anything in the blue book I have, no mention of the spool, but I think the green book has more specific detail on each reel.  Nice find regardless though Chris,  I like the old Surfmasters, I still have a few holes to fill on those models.......
That's a couple of good scores you picked up with the Surfmaster and the 60 LS.

Col

1badf350

Thanks Col, great info! I see your 60LS has a different logo. Also now that you mention it I didn't even realize mine had the heavy stand. Thanks for pointing that out.
Steve are you saying I should expect  to find fins on the spool of the 100? I havent opened it yet
-Chris

mo65

Quote from: milne on May 09, 2019, 11:25:18 AM
Chris, I think you are right about model 100 first year being 49, The Surfmasters were introduced in 40 as mo said, but that was the 150 thru 250 models.
No part numbers could mean it is a first year, I couldn't find anything in the blue book I have, no mention of the spool, but I think the green book has more specific detail on each reel. 

I checked the green book fellas...Col is right...49' is the first year for the little Surfy 100.

Quote from: 1badf350 on May 09, 2019, 11:51:47 AM
Thanks Col, great info! I see your 60LS has a different logo. Also now that you mention it I didn't even realize mine had the heavy stand.

I didn't notice that either! The clamping stand is always a bonus on these early LB 60s. 8)

broadway

Mo, I should've said all the LS models I ever bought have all had the clamp seats... which is why I buy them.  
Just got another LL been LB 60 and it too came with the clamp seat but metal spool.
Dom

AC49

Nice find Chris !!
Keep them coming friend.  ;) ;)

Regards
AC49