Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

You're getting some great finds !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

broadway

Ted, explained why many of these LS models are now seen with the clamp stand. The clamp stand was an option precisely at the time the LS models were available.
As always, Ted is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for setting me straight.
Thanks
Dom

Shark Hunter

There is no setting straight a Rogue like you Dom. ;)

Life is Good!

broadway

LOL, D, my wife would agree. ;)
Without you guys on here I'd be one confused puppy. Sure glad I have Otto's disciples to help me understand these things.
Dom

milne

This arrived today,  I'm really happy to add this to my Senator collection.
It was a bit Dark here today, photo's weren't exactly good.

Col

Benni3

1badf350

Very nice Col is that a black one?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

Hi Chris,
            Yes it's the black 114h, Sorry, not very good photo's, light was failing and my old Iphone is on it's last legs.
       From what I can see, it looks NIB, the box has wear, but the reel looks in really minty condition.
     Unfortunately the previous owner has hit hard times, but this was his centre piece, It wasn't cheap, but I was smiling when It arrived and I could see
    the condition it was in.  I'll take some better shots of it when I get time in good light........

Col  

AC49

Very nice Col  :o

As Ted said "the black sideplates were only produced for a few months in late 1963 and early 1964" .... did the catalog come with in the box ?

Cheers
AC49

milne

Hi AC49,
              Yes that catalog was with the box,  good eye !
     It's from 76 I believe ?,  So that's definitely not a match for the reel, or the box to the reel possibly as well ?
    So maybe only a "minty"  114h black side plates reel only........
   Just need to compare this box to another couple of that era to try and confirm, but there at my factory....

Col

Maxed Out

Nice find Col. Correct box or catalog isn't as important as the pristine condition of the reel IMHO.

The blackies are much tougher to find these days, especially in great condition

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

milne

Thank you Ted,
                       They are terrible photo's, I'll try and take a couple of clearer ones tomorrow.
            The reel was as the previous owner described, very nice condition, so I was really happy when I got to look at it in person.
         I'm not to worried about a non matching box, as you said, the reel was the important part.....

(And thanks again for your input and advice  !)

Col

1badf350

Quote from: milne on May 15, 2019, 03:49:54 PM
Hi AC49,
              Yes that catalog was with the box,  good eye !
     It's from 76 I believe ?,  So that's definitely not a match for the reel, or the box to the reel possibly as well ?
    So maybe only a "minty"  114h black side plates reel only........
   Just need to compare this box to another couple of that era to try and confirm, but there at my factory....

Col
Col i have often wondered about these boxes, but they are the box that has come with the black 114h reels I have.
Now, i have seen a very early red 114h with what i thought was an even earlier box with a "new 114H" sticker and a supplementary pamphlet introducing the new red reels.
Either way, as Ted said, the condition of the reel is what matters most and yours in a winner
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Maxed Out

Chris, you are right about the sticker covering the original model on the box, which would've been a 114.

I'm going to apply my logic to this sticker....it was to use up the over abundant inventory of 114 boxes, since the 114h was far outselling the 114. Just make a sticker and the 114 boxes could get used up...I am certain the earliest 114h box wasn't the one with the added on sticker, and possibly those earliest boxes had postal code "32" instead of a zip code

Also, Penn wasn't shy about using the word "new" for a reel that had been available for many years. The government has since put limitations on how long a product can be called new
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

Thank you for the insight Ted. I was asking myself if they used the stickers because the "new 114h" boxes had not been made yet when the reels came out. But i like your logic better.
-Chris