Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

milne

Thanks Chris and Ted,                                                                                                                                                                                                
                    yes it was worth it for the condition of the reel by far. Really interesting info on the box, I wasn't aware of the sticker
                   They used, or the post code difference. It would be interesting to find out how many were made in the short production
                    run they had, but I suppose that would be near impossible.  I have a couple of similar boxes, for a 113h and a 114h which now
                    want to look at to see if they have the word "new" on the label, as I bought the 113h myself new in the late 70's, ( my first reel )
                     Great information guys, thank you.

Col

RowdyW

The 113H came out about the same time as the 114H...... 1963.

broadway

Nice find Col and in beautiful condition as well.  Keep up the good work on finding those relics.
Ted, your assumptions make a lot of sense.  We've spoken about this before and nothing else really fits.
Rudy, can spot a black 114-H from 2 miles away... consider yourself lucky for finding one Rudy didn't buy. ;)
Best,
Dom

milne

Thanks Dom/Rudy,
                            I was the first in literally with this 114h, saw it advertised not 2-3 minutes after the guy put it up, followed by quite a few offers from others if I didn't take it. I honestly thought postage from the U>S to Aussie could have been a deal breaker, so I was sweating it a while until he confirmed he would sell it to me.
  Here's a few better Pic's ( I hope ),  I can see with posting photo's, sitting them under a decent light may well be the trick to getting a decent shot.
   Had to give it a quick wipe down first, my Labrador Sab, decided to give it a good once over "tonguing while I went inside, not sure whether she was doing it out of approval of my purchase, or P/O had something wiped over it that she found a liking to.... ;D

Col

P.S  Rudy, how many do you have ?   or is Dom setting you up there !

RowdyW

milne, so far I've got 7. One more then Dom.  ;D ;D  I'm always on the lookout for more.     Rudy

milne

Hi Rudy,                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                         YOU HAVE 7,   Wow,                                                                                                                                                                             
                Half of Penn's  production numbers, must be in yours and Dom's collection !
      Rudy, what makes them special to you to go after them,  just the share limited run,
     or is this deep down, getting one back on Dom    ;D
     But in all seriousness, for a couple of blokes to have those sort of numbers, would in it self be rare...

Col
(  I am open to bribes guys   ;) )

RowdyW

Hi Col, I wouldn't consider them rare but I feel that they are scarce. I'm not trying to one up on Dom but both of us have been colecting them for a while even before most people knew they existed. I finally got one with the original box a few months ago. The box I have is identical to yours. I believe Penn started production of the black plated 114H ball bearing model then found out that people were getting them confused with the black plated 6/0 bushing models so they changed the color of the plates to end the confusion. People are still getting them confused even after all these years.

broadway

The person who found me my first black 114h was Rob "norcal Pescador." Ken at Oceanside was the owner. It was beat up and over priced but I got it when very few were unearthed. At one point it was the centerpiece of my collection... until Big Red came along. ;)
Thanks Rob... miss ya round here.
Dom
PS- Rudy has a passion for these reels and I do as well ...thus, our bakers dozen. :P

1badf350

Couple of these went off a few weeks ago  on the auction site. I didnt get either of them. I was disappointed because I was in mandatory work meetings when they ended and I refuse to be a "sniping program guy"
God works in mysterious ways....
This one was trying to be sneaky ....LOL
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

Chris,
       That's a stunner mate, Wow.

That's a centre piece for anyones collection, good score

Col

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Darin Crofton

Wow Chris that is the coolest looking Penn I've seen, congrats on a great find, good things come to those who wait... ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Donnyboat

Thats really nice Chris, did you pay, much for it, was it in good condition, or did you have to clean it up, thanks for posting it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

1badf350

Thanks Donny it was relatively cheap. It did need a cleanup. Im pretty happy with how it turned out.
-Chris

Swami805

Wow that's really stunning, even a little green in it. Great find!
Do what you can with that you have where you are