Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

That's a very cool reel,,,,,love it,,,,, ;D

Fishy247

Penn Chronology

Tough to find a reel with that dramatic mottling. Great Find.

AC49

Stunning find Chris. Thanks for sharing  :)

Regards
AC49

1badf350

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the compliments.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

Lately, there have been some 49's following me home. I picked up these three, over the last 6 weeks, or so....total for everything was less than $70...reels AND shipping, so, they're in my "budget", anyway. Only 1 broken ring in the bunch, too !

1st one is pretty clean, and has an aluminum spool.....sometimes there are "good things", underneath all the old , crappy ,line !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

2nd one looks to be an "older version"...rosewood knob, and no part number on the stand, although it does have a "regular" chick button. It's got a "brown plastic" spool, and, the only broken outside ring in the bunch !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

#3 just came in the mail, yesterday, that weird , home made knob, while "interesting", will have to go, though !! Once I got the line off, I was surprised to see a spool that, so far, is "unknown" to me ! I've got plastic, "three piece} heavy metal, the "vented", both still "intact", and with the "vented arbor cover" removed, and aluminum...but this one is "different"...looks to be two pieces, joined in the center ???

xjchad

Those are some pretty 49's, I love the rosewood handle!
The spool in the last one is interesting.  I bet it would be the easiest style to widen for my wide 49. 
Let me know if you might be interested in trading it  ;)
Great finds for a great price!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

1badf350

Hey crow i have some rings if you need them. Send me a PM
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Crow

I *should* be good on a replacement ring.....I ended up with a "spare", or two, from a donor reel, when I built the "beefed up" , 49 / 349 cross breed. But, thanks for the offer ! Those parts are getting pretty "scarce", to say the least ! Especially the "handle side" ring !  Thanks again !...........

1badf350

Just got this clean first year 1938 Silver Beach 97 with box and catalog 6.

-Chris

54bullseye

Crow

That doesn't look "clean"...it looks "new" !!!

mo65

Holy moly Chris...that Silver Beach is insane! How could a reel so old be so clean? I have a '39 Long Beach the same way...I guess they got shoved to the back of a sock drawer for 75 years.
   I missed your earlier post about the mottled Atlantic. I scored a mottled Delmar 285 a few years ago. It had a face like Walter Matthau when I got it. The first pic is "just as I found it". I cleaned it up, but the chrome was too far gone. Those dramatic side plates deserved more, so I pimped it out. The mottled reels really are head turners.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~