Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Wow Mo that is a gorgeous Delmar!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

Sometimes luck is on your side.

Nice $35 silver beach Chris. That eBay seller was totally clueless and could've asked for $300 more and it would've sold no problem
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

You guys are snagging some REAL nice stuff ! About those "mottled " reels....do you think they "intended" that pattern, or were they "grinding up scraps", and it just happened ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

broadway

Great reel, Mo! I like how the red really stands out... you did a great job on her, too.
Enjoy her,
Dom

1badf350

I noticed that in the number 6 catalog, the reel shown on the Silver Beach page is actually a Coronado. Sorry if im late to the party and this has already been discussed.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

1badf350

Catalog 7 shows the correct picture
-Chris

Penn Chronology

QuoteI noticed that in the number 6 catalog, the reel shown on the Silver Beach page is actually a Coronado. Sorry if im late to the party and this has already been discussed.

All the years I have been looking at my catalog, I never noticed that. Great find Chris!

Crow

I'm "wavering" , at the moment ! Wavering between "buyers remorse" and extreme delight ! Saw this on ebay, and , to me, it looked to be "too good to pass up", so..............I jumped on it ! Reel and shipping totals $82. That's a LOT more than I've every spent on any reel...new, or used! I'm anxious to get it "in my hand", to see which way the "waver" finally goes !
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-SUPER-Mariner-49-DEEP-SeaFishingReel-Extra-Wide-Spool-excellent-Shape/173862124338?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&;
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

1badf350

Wow I think you did great on the price. Great score!!
-Chris

Swami805

So clean you could eat off it! Looks like you did good. Is that the "A" model?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

That is a fantastic looking 49 Crow! Since it's had the service work already done the price is very good. Wonder what's inside? New drags? Maybe some stainless steel parts?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

I don't *think* it's marked "A", and, I'm "itching" to see the whole thing, of course, but, especially the "guts" ! A person hears enough "horror stories" about stuff sold on e bay.....doctored pix, pix not of the actual item, outright lies !....that I am a bit apprehensive ???, and I can't believe that somebody else didn't snap it up, before I saw it.....But, in a few days I'll know if "I'm a winner, or somebodies dinner !!

mo65

Quote from: Crow on June 08, 2019, 05:32:59 PM
In a few days I'll know if "I'm a winner, or somebodies dinner !!

I wouldn't worry too much Crow...any reel that clean on the outside is not likely to be a mess inside. The worst scenario would be that it's dead stock, and the servicing was only a squirt of oil. Even then...I think you're still the winner!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

AC49

Quote from: Crow on June 08, 2019, 05:32:59 PM
In a few days I'll know if "I'm a winner, or somebodies dinner !!

Hi Crow it looks good.
PS the 49A is the wide spool 49 from my side of the world.

Enjoy
AC49

Maxed Out

Great grab Crow !!

That's a $200+ reel all day every day !!

If you do service the reel, use extreme caution when handling the spool. Replacement spools are non existent for the wide 49.

The power handle was likely added on. 49's came with a counterbalance handle, cause in direct drive the handle will spin.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!