Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nelz

mo65

That's a new one on me Chris...interesting find! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

The box was used on the low budget Penn models. The  #13 catalog is also a good score !!

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

Nice find !...What was the 'time frame" for that reel....had to be pretty early, the way the handle looks.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Rivverrat

I think it's a cool find with the tag & box... Jeff

Donnyboat

Yes Chris, sweet reel looks great, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

Great find man,,,,,, :D the box maybe it can be fixed,,,,, ;) little water and ironing,,,,,, ;D

Crow

A while back, I got a spool from Chad  (Thanks, again, Chad!)...one of the "ventilated arbor" type. Yesterday, I tore down a 149 ....pretty decent shape, EXCEPT for the spool...one of the heavy 3 piece ones, that had bad, bad corrosion . So bad, that the old linen line had to be "crumbled off" of it. I decided it would be a good candidate to show off the "vented spool".
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Ron Jones

I really like that spool, especially with todays thinner lines. Gives you the retrieve rate of the large diameter spool without the weight of all that extra line. Just like a large arbor fly reel.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Benni3

Very nice,,,,,,, :D like that spool,,,,,, ;D

Penn Chronology

QuotePenn 85
Not a rare reel at all, but I'm wondering about the box. I have scoured Mikes books and google searched and I cant come up with any info. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

These are common boxes from around the war and post war era. Penn used these mostly for the low priced reels. More common to find Model 14 and 15 in these styles. They were inferior as far as quality goes and had a difficult time surviving.

Crow

I guess, with a $4 price tag for the reel, you can't expect much in the way of  box ! :D

A while back, I "attempted" to buy a Penn 15, on Ebay....the example I have has a cracked (and repaired" tail plate, and I thought the plate on the "Ebay" one looked pretty fair (in fact, it was the ONLY thing that looked "fair" about it :D!). Anyway, I "won " it, and when it arrived....the seller had sent the "wrong" reel !!! :'(! It was an Ocean City(Which NOW lives in Australia !). I contacted the seller...he said, Keep the OC...it's not worth sending back, and I'll mail out the Penn, tomorrow. Well, "tomorrow" took quite a while, but, it did finally (after a bit of prodding) arrived. Yesterday, I decided to clean it up, and see just what was able to be saved.  And, after a cleaning...I've decided to put the whole thing on the shelf, and keep looking for a tail plate for my original !  It ain't pretty....but, it has great, great, free spool, and....I *may*have to fish it a bit !
some "before" pix

Crow

And some "after".....if I had one of those "cheap" boxes.....nah! that would be a waste of a good box !! ;D

1badf350

I scored this one before i even got out of bed one morning last week. 1933 Long Beach. Has the Kuhn Jacob markings on both side plates.
The posts measure 2 1/8" so i think its a 65 size Long Beach
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow