Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Benni3

Penn Chronology

QuoteI scored this one before i even got out of bed one morning last week. 1933 Long Beach. Has the Kuhn Jacob markings on both side plates.
The posts measure 2 1/8" so i think its a 65 size Long Beach

The 1933 Long Beach is always a special treat to come across. I know they pop up when you are not expecting them to. To truly understand how unusual a find they are, you have to experience the difficulty of finding one when you go out to specifically look for one. These reels were fished hard and finding survivors is not easy. I am impressed.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

Hi All,
       Yep, that is an absolute beauty Chris, Wow   great find.
I just got an early 249, which I was stoked about, doesn't have the waffle clicker, but pretty sure it's Pre war, just cleaning her up,
But, certainly not in the Longbeach class, what you found, great score......

Col

milne

Well, as mentioned, slow on reels of late, been hard at it refitting my boat project,
But managed to score a crusty old 249 deep sea reel. After a good soaking and clean, it's come up really well.
There's a bit of patina on the posts, but the side plates are near perfect, with a broken screw to remove out of the stand at a later date,
It came up great.  This is my first of the deep sea reels and I must say, I kinda like them, simplicity at it's best and The brown spool is a first for me.
Not sure of it's age, It doesn't have the waffle clicker, but it will sit nicely with with other pre war reels on the shelf....

Col

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Rivverrat

Yup! I really like the over all simplicity of this reel... Jeff

Crow

Looks great !  Those old, narrow "tall" ones are quite "addictive", to me, as well !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

AC49

Hi All

This Penn 14/0 just arrived in the mail. We don't see that many of the bigger Senators this side. Nothing vintage here but seems in good nick so I had to have. Any details on age would be appreciated as I know there are plenty Senator experts here. The guy tossed the box and catalog years ago  :o

Regards
AC49

AC49

oc1

The Cuttyhunk (twisted linen) line is likely pre-war but the stand has a part number.
-steve

1badf350

Thats a pretty one!
Can you reel that line onto another real long enough to clean and inspect the spool and take pictures?
-Chris

Maxed Out

Nice 14/0 !!

The logo under the eccentric is 1950's. The deep red color of the knob has early 50's written all over it.....and as Steve mentioned, the cuttyhunk line suggests that early to mid 50's reel. In my opinion, the finest chrome plating was during this era.

Whoever owned it didn't fish much. Definitely a good score !!

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !