Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Quote from: Maxed Out on July 31, 2019, 12:36:18 AM
Nice 14/0 !!

The logo under the eccentric is 1950's. The deep red color of the knob has early 50's written all over it.....and as Steve mentioned, the cuttyhunk line suggests that early to mid 50's reel. In my opinion, the finest chrome plating was during this era.

Whoever owned it didn't fish much. Definitely a good score !!

Ted

This is where I was going. I have seen early 50s 14/0 reels with three piece spools and part number. Presumably 1950-53? The one piece cast spools are 1954+? The "shoulders" of these are much smaller than on the original 3 piece spools.
Ted have you seen these? Maybe you can explain better.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

AC49

The 14/0 spool after the line removed.
The only info I could get from the elderly seller - fished once - caught 1 Barracuda - packed away for many years - he can't remember all the details.
The coin edged lever caught my attention if that helps with era ?
I did Steve's test "Nylon melts over a flame but cotton and silk burn over a flame leaving a light ash that can be flicked away" See attached picture 3.

Regards
AC49

oc1

Oh, sorry AC.  I thought I could see twists in your second picture way above.  A braided synthetic line (nylon or Dacron) makes more sense.
-steve

1badf350

Ok 1 piece spool. Im guessing 1954-59ish?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

Hi All,  Been slow on all things Penn of late, but have a few wee things arriving soon.  ( cant help myself )
        How ever, couldn't resist this one, Bargain at $15, even though some "clown" decided to cut out the price label out. But I didn't have a LH
     Box in my collection. Even though I now stray outside my Pre War theme, I'm finding that stretching out to the late 50's, for various items.
      Even without the price label, I'm going to call this a 51 box,  any thoughts ??????  it's slow on here so who agree's ????
     Next box arriving is a slopped label,  Luv them !

Col

Crow

Too bad about the box.....the shopkeeper probably did that when he wrote the "increased price" on the box, so as not to confuse the customers !! ;).
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

nelz

Might've been given as a gift sometime.

Maxed Out

Nice !!

It's very common to see labels with price scratched off or inked over. The real selling price is $10,50, which was likely written on the label by the store

The red knob reel you teased us with is a Duval sporting goods reel. Those red knobs were exclusive to Duval sporting goods and aren't easy to come by.

1950-52/53ish boxes were black, then dark green was phased in during early 50's

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

milne

Hi Ted,  I guessed at about 51 for the box because of the fair trading price thing, which from what I read, and they stopped it not long after.
        The Duval reel,  LOL,  good eye sir, I didn't deliberately capture that, but yes, Mike informed me about the red handles made for Duval when I first got
         it, so that wee 150 yd longbeach is one of my favourites for sure....

Col

Tiddlerbasher

Crow

Somebody "customized" that one ! Actually, it looks pretty good! I wonder if that was a tie clasp, in it's "first life" ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Pretty green handle knob and little doohickies on the star too.
-steve

Lingwendil

First post here! I've got a really nice 209 already that I just dug out of storage (that I honestly don't remember buying!) and a delMar 285 around somewhere, but before I found the 209 in storage I bid on a couple reels on the 'bay. The first of two came in today, and I'm pretty happy with the condition, and the red on the sideplates is very nice. This will be my first full teardown of a Penn reel, so wish me luck :)

Came spooled with wire line, backed with heavy mono. I bought it for the green handle in particular. I paid $28.95 shipped and I'm happy with it at that price. I bought it to use it :)

Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crow

Well, welcome to the site ! And it looks like you got a good deal, too !  My suggestion is , you need to build shelves, right now....this place is very addictive, and pretty soon you'll need the storage room for all the reels you "just have to have" :D