Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingwendil

Shoot. I'm already looking at grabbing a no.9, no.309, and eyeballing a 350 levelmaster or even a 210 or 310 too. Maybe when the second of the two 209's comes in I'll see if anyone wants to make a trade? This already has me scavenging fleabay with the idea of getting one of each that I can find cheap.  ;D

I've been inhaling every thread on these I can find for the last week. Send help  :D
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

alantani

welcome to the dark side......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crow

;D ;D   Like I said....build shelves now !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

I like the 350. Not a perfect levelwind mechanism, but tough beyond the usual Penn toughness.

I hadda thumb the drag to get this one in on the 350, but that can always be improved on.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

sabaman1

JIM

oc1

Now, that's impressive.  I think you have found the perfect use for a 350.

-steve

milne

I've not really concentrated on Catalog's thus far, so thought i should start !.
These fell into my lap, from a local blokes estate, still negotiating on some of his reels, which do have some real special ones amongst them.
These catalog's certainly aren't in pristine condition, but it's a start.

Col

Lingwendil

Got it all apart, other than some really dry waxy grease in places, it's in beautiful shape. Any ideas on approximate year range? All the parts are numbered, it's got a beautiful grey steel main gear, and what seems to be leather drags.

Which forum would be best to post a rebuild diary in? I don't want to clutter this thread up too much.

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

milne

Gfish, That's a ripper Bud,  Well done !!.
    Good to see the vintage gear still performing, awesome.

Col

oc1

Quote from: Gfish on August 09, 2019, 08:14:29 PM
get this one in on the 350

I think you made the jig too.  Really, really well done.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteAny ideas on approximate year range? All the parts are numbered, it's got a beautiful grey steel main gear, and what seems to be leather drags.

By the looks of the spool I would say it is a 1980's reel.

Gfish

Quote from: Lingwendil on August 10, 2019, 02:52:57 AM
Got it all apart, other than some really dry waxy grease in places, it's in beautiful shape. Any ideas on approximate year range? All the parts are numbered, it's got a beautiful grey steel main gear, and what seems to be leather drags.

Which forum would be best to post a rebuild diary in? I don't want to clutter this thread up too much.

There's a sub-forum: "Penn Tutorials and Questions", under a main sub-forum: "Conventional and Baitcasting Reel Rebuild Tutorials and Questions" on the "main" page.
I'd be interested to see if you can improve the drag system on your 209. My 350 was almost as I found it, but there were C-tex drags installed, so it dosen't actually belong here. The 3 stack and tiny star just didn't cut it for that critter, but I don't think the levelwind would be ruined by any fish.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lingwendil

Okay, got a thread started over there-

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=29179.0

I'd appreciate if anyone could drop in, I'll have a few questions here and there :)

Crow

Col, I would imagine that the catalogs are probably much harder to find than the reels...or even the boxes. But , it looks like you're off to a good start !