Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Hey Gfish, is that a Bonito? Got one off a pier, people thought it was a tuna but was later ID'd as a bonito. I was using an early Okuma Coronado Bait Feeder with 12lb line... was lookin' at the bottom of the spool before he finally paused!

broadway

Nelz, Both yours and G-fish's look to be False Albies.  Bonito are usually skinnier and don't have the oil slick back.
Nice fish, but not so yummy.
The Pacific long fin albies are what makes that yummy white gold of Ted's and Wayne's.  Now that's where it's at!
Love the fight on those allies.  They vibrate and circle after their initial run which makes it feel like you have a much bigger fish on. 
Alwaysa blast,
Dom

nelz

Quote from: broadway on August 10, 2019, 06:23:07 PMNelz, Both yours and G-fish's look to be False Albies. Nice fish, but not so yummy.

You are correct sir ;D but in my neck o' the woods they call them "bonita". And yeah, I ate it... but never again!

Alto Mare

Little tunny, meat looks like liver...makes good bait.
I'm with you Dom, they are nice fighting fish , will take off at 40 mph.
In some parts of the world it is enjoyed smoked or canned... I'll pass😊

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

RowdyW

nelz, the dog in the lower right photo has the right idea after eating a little tunny.        Rudy

Alto Mare

You're not kidding Rudy🙄.
Gregg nice job stopping that fish with the 350, didn't think it could.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Dudes. It's a little Tunny. Note the spots near the pectoral fin. Nelz, my hat's off to you with 12 lb. test onna pier, yours may be bigger. How did you land it? Skips., Bonitio, Albies., they'er all tuna to me. Ran into a school trollin 2 lines---a fly above a lure on each. 4 hook-ups with about a 1/4 sec. apart. 3 fish broke off on 30lb. mono., probably pullin against each other. The Sailfisher rig lasted about 5 min., though. Took about 15 min. to land 'em from the yak.

My wife and I love the taste a those! Of course, I'm a person that eat's fish head soup. Sashimi for her, baked for me. Now back to Penn reels just as you find 'em.
You know, I think old catalogs, along with boxes, etc. would really spice up this thread.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

Lingwendil

eBay reel #2 came in- $24.73 shipped. Steel main gear, crack in the edge of the side ring for one side. In pretty nice shape otherwise. Already torn down and soaking :)

Spy that cool thick line it's spooled with.

more pics in the teardown thread :)
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

sabaman1

Nice score! Looks like some old cuttyhunk line on there as well.
JIM

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

This just came in today,,,,,, :D $16.31 but I was a little surprised 2 speed and made better than expected,,,,,,, ;D

Rivverrat

Whoa,  Benni I didn't know such an animal existed. If you tear it down please start another thread & post pics. I'd love to see inner workings on this one... Jeff

Crow

I'll second that, guys !  I checked out the schematic at Mystic....looks like an interesting reel !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !