Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Just picked this up. It was really crusty, but only paid $3  ::)  Anyway, it says "No. 180" on it, but after looking at other 180's I'm not so sure this is one because the others look narrower.  ???

Did they make a wide 180, or perhaps this is a 180 that was widened?

mo65

It appears that someone put 155 posts, spool, and stand on that 180 Nelz. It's still a steal though...for 3 bucks! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

nelz

Quote from: mo65 on September 09, 2019, 04:42:35 PM   It appears that someone put 155 posts, spool, and stand on that 180 Nelz. It's still a steal though...for 3 bucks! 8)

Son-of-a-gun Mo, I think you nailed it. The stand says 30-155.

cdaline

Bride at yard sale found a box full of fishing accoutrement... 10 rod holders, line
winder, variety of lures..etc. . At the bottom of the box was this Penn 9  Level
Wind, U.S.A. .She gave $5 for all.  8)...I was busy picking the Swap Meet. ;)

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/ZXVRIpl

thorhammer

great score, Charles! I love those reels!

John

xjchad

Nice find!

Question:  What are the differences between the Peer 9 and Mag 10?
The seem to hold the same line capacity (275/15).  So is it just the magnet in the Mag 10?  Looks like the gear ratios are close.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

Mag 10 has BB vs bushing, mag control obviously, bigger handle, heavier stand and posts, higher speed (bigger gears and drags). A much more robust reel.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on September 12, 2019, 03:40:56 PM
Mag 10 has BB vs bushing, mag control obviously, bigger handle, heavier stand and posts, higher speed (bigger gears and drags). A much more robust reel.

Thanks John!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Donnyboat

Great score Charles, could be worth keeping that bride, man, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

cdaline

Thanks Team Tani....

The Bride done good...but, she is a work in progress... full wings not earned
until she brings home a Yard Sale Mitchell President !  ;D ;D ;D.

I cleaned and lubed the reel...to be honest, didn't require much effort. I do not
believe this Level Wind had much rod time...or else the original owner took really
good care of his/her gear. I'm thinking I'll set this up as a troller with 10 - 12 #
mono. The level wind has just the slightest hesitation when the guide is mid-reel.
Not sure if anything is out of alignment (cannot see an issue) ...but do notice that
tweaking the main drag and the Star drag seem to minimize the hesitation. I'll wait
to get it on the boat to see if it is just my imagination.

I took the "after" photos.... the reel appears to hold good build quality.

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/nn68s7V

Bill B

She's a keeper for sure...any women willing to be on the look out for fishing gear is a Gem for sure...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

Charles, if the LW is ticking, you probably have a worn spot on the nylon idler gear..a couple bucks for the part. Note- 10-12lb is a bit light and may get behind the spool.  I'd recco 15-20. I run 20 but more as a function of what i use the reels for.

cdaline

Bill... I agree. She is my fishin' partner. She grew up in a Zebco family...
and I can't get her to budge off of using Zebco.  ;D On the other hand
she is a Yard sale Jedi. And, willing to bring me home some good tackle.  
8)
I know I'm a lucky guy.

TH....I'll take her back apart and check out the idler gear. I appreciate
the rec. on the # test. Will move up to 15 # test ...thank you.

Charles