Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

oc1

Quote from: thorhammer on September 13, 2019, 02:19:33 PM
Charles, if the LW is ticking, you probably have a worn spot on the nylon idler gear..a couple bucks for the part. Note- 10-12lb is a bit light and may get behind the spool.  I'd recco 15-20. I run 20 but more as a function of what i use the reels for.
If the line guide always hesitates at the same spot in the middle of the worm then it is not the idler gear.  I don't remember the ratio but the idler makes several revolutions to get the line guide from one end of the worm to the other so the hesitation frequency would be higher.  The problem is more likely in the worm itself.  If the problem was the pawl then the hesitation would be at the ends of the worm where the pawl has to rotate inside the line guide.

Having a spare pawl indicates that Penn was not really satisfied with the robustness of their levelwind system any more than we are.  To bad there was not room for a spare worm and too bad they were never able to fix it.  That is not the earliest #9 but it has the same old problem.

-steve

cdaline

Today at the swap...the ubiquitous Penn 60 Long Beach. Seemed to have good
bones. As you can tell by the "hand" photo the original owner apparently did not
believe in fresh water rinsing after Ocean use. I got a kick on finding a user tied
knot joining mono to mono about half way thru the spool. After a good cleansing
and lube and grease this little gem purrs.... great free spool and sensitive adjust-
ment of the main drag and star drag. Glad to find the metal spool wasn't scarred.
I gave $15... not much wiggle room. Completed listings on the web indicate current
market for "clean ones" are in the range of $20-$30. I'll probably give it to my
sibling. Still.... a quality USA fishing reel.  ;)

edit: one face plate screw missing... solved with part from a donor reel in the pile.
No matter how many times I inspect before purchase it seems I always miss
something. I need to start buying more donor reels.

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/w3xEDNq

Crow

That really cleaned up well . Good job !   I've seen several of those "knots", myself....one I stripped the line from, the other day had SIX different kinds of line ! Thick, thin, mono, nylon braid....a real "mixed bag"!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

cdaline

Crow...

Thanks. While not obvious in the photo ...the tactile feel of the line pre and post
knot demonstrates the repetitive "wave" of stretching. Probably inadequate moisture
applied prior to cinching the knot. If some unsuspecting fisherman was being "spooled" by
that once in a lifetime catch.... the line surrounding the knot would be a likely break
point by the running fish.  ;) at least that is the excuse I'd use.  ;D

Charles

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Good save, that knot is why I always strip off and replace line.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

I just can't say . "No !", to a 49....especially a CHEAP 49...this one came to $21.01....delivered. One of you "more experienced" folks can "check my work", as to date:  coin edge counterweight, and "shift" levers...."open" stand (no reel clamp provisions)with yardage markings, instead of part number......in fact, no part #'s on anything "external" (haven't opened it yet)......"football" shaped knob....I'm saying 1939, 0r "40! Am I close ?
   It has the "brown" plastic spool...that I can see, even with the line still on it. All the "rings" are intact, ...no cracks or breaks....plating looks "pretty fair", with no really bad "corroded areas". I think it will look pretty decent, next to my "'38  49" !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Deepennz

Hi Crow,
Waffle clicker, or 'kiss clicker?
If it has a Hershey kiss clicker then it will be an early 1940 reel, as shown in the '40 catalogue, with no rod clamp  just yet. By the end of 1940 Penn had added the rod clamps etc
Nice find - your on a roll!!
Cheers
Martin

Benni3

Very nice find,,,, :D it amazing that a 80year old reel works  great,,,,,, ;D

Gobi King

wow, thanks for sharing Crow, clean her up and lube her and land a big red on it on Dauphin :-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Crow

I should have mentioned it is the "kiss" clicker ! So....'41, or '42 ?   

Yeah, Shibs....I hope there are some "big reds"...or "big anythings" this winter !  The "Snow bird fishing club" has lost two "members", over the summer, (and another isn't doing well, with heart issues) so those remaining will have some "adjusting" to do , while "breaking in some new "fishing buddies".

You're right, Benni....I haven't "opened" it, but did pull the old line, and gave everything a shot of oil.....really good feel to the reel...smooth, good clicker, and a "flick of the thumb" gives some good spin to the spool !

Gobi King

Crow, sorry to hear that,
We have had similar issues here in MI, I hope to driven down for the last 2 weeks of December and fish some.

Yes Sir, Grandma and I are looking forward to some dauphin Island fishing. She loves the white trout and hard tails.

Back on topic: Post some picks after you get a chance to crack that reel open please. Can't wait to see the insides of it.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Maxed Out

Introduction year of the 49 was the only year of a "non clamp stand" and also only year yardage was stamped on the foot
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

I've got a lot to learn about "dating" (reels, that is !)....I've been reading Mike's "Blue Book", and also the old, on-line Penn catalogs available on the Mystic site, but, just when I think I've learned something....something pops up that says, "not always " ! I guess that's to be expected....lot's of opportunities for replaced parts, modifications, etc., over that long a "life span".

Deepennz

Hi Crow,
Have you removed the nylon from the reel yet?
I have an identical reel as that one which does not have the reinforcing 'ridge' around the corner where the arbour meets the flange, as per the '38 and '39 model 49's. It would seem that this ridge was added later in 1940, when Penn also added the rod clamp seat. The first clamps for the '49s still had the yardage stamped on them, as well as the holes for the bolts of the clamp. By the end of 1940 Penn had stopped stamping the yardage on the stands.
Cheers
Martin