Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gfish

A 1/0 Senator. This one looks to me, like its never had line on it and that's how it was advertised. I halfed their asking price and was surprised they sold it to me, though it was still expensive ( "half-off of double the price" Ha!)
I'm gonna oil and grease everything, then shelf it.

Note: in the 3rd pic. the 2 indentations on the jack spring screw. Never seen that before. Also, the 2 projections near the click spring in pic. 4. The brown factory grease dripped off the click pawl(hard to see) and onto the plate probably long ago, but it was still fairly soft.

Another note: I have a collection of 6 old reels so far. LB 65 Deluxe, Silver Beach 97, Shakes. maroon 2062, Zebco Cardinal 4, all used, including by me(except the SB 97, Dom talked sense into me about that one) and 2 pristine Penn's: a 60 and this one. I've covered the exterior of these 2 with a marine grease/oil mix to preserve them. In Hawaii you gotta do this for any metal you wanna keep for years. Any opinions about better options or possible bad results?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

Yeah, as nice as that one is..it belongs on the shelf ! 

I pulled the line, to see the spool, on the 49, Martin......Not sure I really understand where the "ridge" you are referring to might be, as I don't recall seeing anything like that on any of the plastic spools that I have. The pic isn't very good, but, to my eye...it's a "ridgeless" spool ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

I guess I need to pay more "attention" ::) ! I just looked at the spool Chad sent me, for the "clear" project, and....Yup ! there is a "ridge" around the arbor, next to the flange ! This spool is a "black" one, so...wonder if ALL the black ones have the ridge...and all the "brown" ones don't ?   I'll have to check all of mine, and see  ???
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: Crow on September 28, 2019, 04:16:19 PM
I guess I need to pay more "attention" ::) ! I just looked at the spool Chad sent me, for the "lear" project, and....Yup ! there is a "ridge" arounf the arbor, next to the flange ! This spool is a "black" one, so...wonder if ALL the black ones have the ridge...and all the "brown" ones don't ?   I'll have to check all of mine, and see  ???

So many things get mentioned and I usually forget them, I need to write this stuff down. Crow, I'm not sure if this is right but Ted made some comments about the "ridge" before...I'm thinking the ridged spools were the older ones...help Ted! :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

To the best of my knowledge, the spools that had that little lip where arbor meets the flange are pre war. After the war the plastic spools were redesigned with a rounded taper from arbor to flange
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Deepennz

Hi Crow,
The very first spools, for the '49, the 149 and the 249, found in the 1939 models, (and 1938 for the '49) did not have that ridge. It would seem to be a 1940 addition, even for the 149's and 249's.
Both my 1938, and 1939 model '49 do not have any yardage stamped on the reel foot, although Mike C, in his green book, page 126, has a photo, seemingly of a 1939 model49, with a yardage stamped, non clamp reel foot.
I would be interested if anybody has an actual 1939 model '49 ,with a yardage stamped foot.
Cheers
Martin

nelz

Quote from: Gfish on September 28, 2019, 07:52:53 AMA 1/0 Senator. This one looks to me, like its never had line on it and that's how it was advertised. I halfed their asking price and was surprised they sold it to me, though it was still expensive ( "half off of double the price" Ha!)

Wow, that's a beauty, gotta love those 1/0 mini Senators. So, inquiring minds want to know... what was the final tally?

Gfish

You mean the price Nelz? "Half off of double the price" was a stupid joke of mine. It was advertised for $189, with, of course, the "make offer" option avalible. So they's probably fishin around to see how much they could really get. If I remember it right, 1st I offer $80, they counter $120, I complain about no manual, the box condition & shipping cost(should never be more'n $12 for a med.-small reel), yada, yada, ended up $102 including the shipping.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

That was quite the deal! And you are a master haggler, lol.

milne

I can't comment on the 49-149-249 models.
BUT, every Pre war plastic spool Penn reel I own, Has the ridge as Ted pointed out.
I only own a 249, got it recently, it has the brown spool, haven't really looked into it as such yet, but it has the yardage stamp on the reel seat
and it has the ridge on the arbour of the spool.

broadway

Yep, I have a '39 with brown spool with flanges. I have two (one is Spooled up) so I'll have to check the other but one sure does.
Thing is, one never knows if it was "original" to the reel.
Dom

Deepennz

Hi Crow,
Thanks for the photos of the spool - they show that you have an early 1940 model #49 - the reel pictured in the 1940 catalogue. So, you have 2 of the first 3 variants of the #49. All you need to do now is find a 1939 model (Waffle clicker, no ridge, torpedo handle nob, with or without yardage stamped on the clampless foot) - to complete the trio!! Best of luck!! They are out there!!
Cheers
Martin

milne

Just finished cleaning up my latest addition to the collection,
It's a 140 Squidder with box, which by the price, ( no catalog ) would date it between 1946-49
The box needed a bit of re enforcing and has wear, as well as the reel, which was definitely used.
The original spool still has some type of line on it, not sure what type, doesn't form a hard lump when a flame is put on it, similar to the old cuttyhunk I have on my 30's Senator,,, so I am going to remove it, give it a bathing, dry it out and put it back on the spool.
I'm lovin these 40's boxes, can't get enough of them.....

Col

Benni3

broadway

Col, that's a nice squidder and the box isn't the easiest find. The price, as Ted has pointed out, was $25 for about 25 years except for one or two years which it was $27.50.
Nice addition,
Dom