Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

milne

Hi Dom,  Yes, that price of 27.50 made me stand up and look at it, for that reason.
          I do luv the 40's boxes and have a few more of these in various states of cleaning and repair at the minute.

But I must admit Dom, I'm excited about another purchase, My first of these !!!.
Am doing a few minor repairs on the box as we speak, but I was quite excited to snare my first of these....

Col

54bullseye

Nice box milne !!!  I would like to find one my self !!   John Taylor

milne

Thanks John,
                     Been searching a while now, was wrapped to secure my first....
         Unfortunately it doesn't end there, ( as you know)  it's endless !!!!!

cheers
Col

Crow

It looks , to me, that you have a good system for bringing those boxes "back from the brink", and I'm anxious to see more of your work !  That's a nice Squidder, too !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

broadway

Nice find, Col.  Love me some lighthouse boxes.  Only have 2 as well (6/0 & 12/0).
They are tough to find in decent shape, so it's nice to see you restoring them as I do.  Ray (Superhook) taught me his method. (sure miss that guy)
Keep at it... looking good from here.
Dom

xjchad

Nice finds and refurbs Col!

I wish I could find me a 9/0 for $32!  :D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on October 05, 2019, 09:12:53 PM

Me too brother! Way to go Col!! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Quote from: xjchad on October 05, 2019, 09:12:53 PM
Nice finds and refurbs Col!

HaHaHa,
Wouldn't that be great !!, Imagine going back and only paying the original box price for all out collecting purchases.......

But Sadly......... :'(

Thanks guys.

Col

Darin Crofton

Great finds, Col, building a nice collection my friend!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

milne

Thanks Darin,  It's a long road !!!  HaHa.
  Hope all is well with you and your family Darin,  and that your managing to wet a line ????.
Tell me Darin, have you managed to give that tricked up Squidder a good thrashing yet ?.
If so, would luv to here about how you found it, Mine is still sitting there, waiting for a bulk order to build up for the Internal upgrades.

Col

milne

Next Cab off the ranks, ( on a roll )

Is a 40's boxed Senator, one of the baby ones  ;D

Just re enforced the box a tad, gusseting the corners internally,
Now, the reels turn......  Was pleasantly surprised when stripping this one down, never seen this set up with the internal screws on to the post
and the reel seat, very interesting. The reel is partly numbered, so I'm guessing it could be a late 49, pricing indicates this, but maybe they used these boxes into the 1950's, dunno.... anyways, on with the soak I go......

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteIs a 40's boxed Senator, one of the baby ones  

Just re enforced the box a tad, gusseting the corners internally,
Now, the reels turn......  Was pleasantly surprised when stripping this one down, never seen this set up with the internal screws on to the post
and the reel seat, very interesting. The reel is partly numbered, so I'm guessing it could be a late 49, pricing indicates this, but maybe they used these boxes into the 1950's, dunno.... anyways, on with the soak I go......

The price puts the box used from 1946 to 1950. So this print style would fit into any of those years. Usually, if the reel's model name is printed on a slant, it is a 1940's box, but since this reel kept its price to 1950, this particular Senator 2/0 box is more than likely used up to and including 1950. nice find!

milne

Thanks Mike,
                  I suppose because most parts on it are labelled, not all, the reel seat and the nut for the lever are un marked, that I figured
      more towards the late 40's or even 1950. It was interesting to see the drag was accessible from the outside, which I researched that they changed to internal drag access around 52-53 ish. 
    Another reel to learn from,  it doesn't stop with Penn, which I think makes it all the more interesting.

Cheers
Col

Crow

You ARE on a roll, Col ! Getting some good stuff !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat