Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Sweet score Col. Keep em coming !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Cuttyhunker

I'd like to get back a few pages to the 49's with yardage stamped on the non clamping foot. I have one that I thought was a frankenreel, as it has a hershey kiss clicker button on the 4 boat sideplate, not the waffle that I have seen with any other stamped foot 49's. No numbers, coin edge, football carmel colored grip. Is the kiss on this reel in fact correct?
I thought I'd put up one of the 49's that I still have working for a living.  I keep 3 of them on 7' old school trolling rods from dad's old charter biz equipped with Varmac seats and roller tips. Two to troll with and one backup.  They have the carbontex treatment with Alan's trick of a carbontex 113 washer under the main gear. Still outstanding fishers today rigged ss wire to get down in the fast rips here.  Another mod I'm considering is a 5-40 ss bolt in the crosspost where the lower lever engages the drag. When the drag is in the engaged position a raised bolt could keep the reel in  drag only by physically blocking the movement of the lower lever to the knuckle buster position.  Kind of a poor man's 349.
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

This 209 greenie was the result of, and a surprise in a swap for an old 704Z with the black spool.  I was very happy with the deal, then here is this sad old Peer sitting almost apologetically at the bottom of the box. I have a probably never spooled 209 that will be merged into the swap reel when I get down south next week that should result in a handsome green Peer for the shelf.  I'll post the result.
Doomed from childhood

Crow

Nice deal !  I'd like to run on to some of the "colored" ones...in my price range ;)
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

milne

Was excited to get to the mail today, been eagerly awaiting this one.

A first year Sea Hawk,  quickly opened her up to find the jk mark on both head and tail plate.
It's the first of the dome buttons I have, both my Seaford and 1st year king fisher don't have them.
It looks like the reel seat may have been ground down, but I'm not to bothered about that,
I was more impressed by the condition, from the photo's I thought it had a lot of marks and corrosion on the
metal ware, but much to my delight, it's all just caked on dirt......
I shall post up a photo of it once I give it the good cleaning,  I luv these things !!!!!!

Col

Crow

Good find, Col !!  I can't wait to see her "in her party clothes " !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

That looks like one of those reels that will clean up fantastic Col...can't wait to see her! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

broadway

You have a model f with the badge of a Sea Hawk. Sweet score!
I agree with Mo, she's gonna clean up nicely.
Nice score,
Dom

Cuttyhunker

Would the 1932 dome add value to Col's 1933 reel? Just curious of opinions from nope to how much or a percentage like Mike C has published for some lefty's in his Green book.
Doomed from childhood

milne

Hi Cutty,
            I don't know about the "more value %"question,  But what I have found, is that they used this dome button first, but seem to have swapped to the
        other button on models later that year, now I could be wrong, but I'm sure I saw a first year Seahawk with the other button.
       I think I read that in Mikes book as well somewhere......

Thanks Guys.

Col

nelz

Quote from: milne on October 09, 2019, 09:15:48 PMBut what I have found, is that they used this dome button first, but seem to have swapped to the other button on models later that year, now I could be wrong, but I'm sure I saw a first year Seahawk with the other button.

Is this a first year Seahawk? Is the "other button" you're referring to the "waffle" style?

Deepennz

Hi Col,
The 1933 seahawk #40 came in 3 variations - the first had the same, shiny smooth dome clicker, as per the 1932 model 'F',.
Then, for a short while, Penn used the clicker as per your seahawk - these clickers where also used on '33 Seafords.  I recall some discussion on this site re these clickers were from the Ocean City company??
Finally, Penn changed to the 'waffle" clicker, as in Nelz's example.
The waffle clicker was replaced in 1939/40

Cheers
Martin

broadway

Martin is correct, the smooth dome was first.  Then the ornamental dome, then the waffle click.
I believe the dome clickers ended in early '33.  That's my finding throughout my collection at least.
Dome clickers are much tougher finds cause Penn didn't ramp up production when those were being used.  They ramped up when the waffle clicks were the thing.
Dom

milne

Well, blow me down !
     I didn't realise there were two types of dome clickers, Ok...
  I have 2, 33 Seafords, one is boxed and both have the waffle clicker. I thought this was standard for the Seaford, as they were a very late 33
introduction, I'd luv to see one with the dome if you have it ???.
Martin, now you've gone and made me want to search for that smooth dome clicker now !!!!  LOL
I haven't finished with the Seahawks yet, all of mine are 250 yd models, so that elusive 300yd model is still to be found.
I was trying to get one example of every change they made,through the years, which I thought I'd now done with the 250 yd ones,  maybe I'll settle for the dome clicker model I have now,, that was hard enough to get in reasonable condition without paying an arm an a leg.
It's funny really, how certain models, some find easy to come across, and others find them difficult to get, I guess it's just chance at the time your looking, right place right time scenario....

Nelz, From what I understand, that looks like a first year Seahawk, its a 3 poster,  does it have that ellusive JK stamp on either of the plates ??

Col

milne

OK,
      Last one of the recent " splurge"   ( I promise  ;D )

A Boxed early 40's Seagate.
It doesn't have that hex type clicker, it has a hershey type, but the reel will clean up a treat.
The box has been " fixed up" before, with a lot of seletape wrapped all round it, not how I would have done it, but it is all original and intact,
So it will be a nice addition........
Got some cleaning to do now, 3 sitting there for there make over,  so should keep me busy for a week or so...

Col
Thanks SGS