Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sharkb8

Cuttyhunker

Yes, the 33's are always a good find for me, found a SeaHawk that is Col's twin, and learned (thanks guys) that there were 2 dome styles on 33. also shelved two 33 SeaFord's, one badged Kingfisher, both with the waffles.
Doomed from childhood

broadway

Sorry for not being clear, as far as I know the "ornamental" dome was only used for part of '33 and then the waffle click appeared. Its my belief that the smooth dome was only used in '32 for the "F" and "K" but some super early sea hawks are also adorned with the smooth dome, most likely due to left overs.  Most of those early sea hawk have the KJ (circle k as some call it) plates that are more of a brown and have the appearance of leather like the "K" and "F" instead of solid maroon color which came later.
Best
Dom

milne

Hey, well done Cutty,  That would be a good haul of reels !,
     With the 33's, it's great finding and getting them, but even better when you crack them open and find that circle K as well.
    The kingfisher was the first one I got that had the circle K, the 33 Seafords didn't. 
    That's the great thing about these reels, you never stop learning,   especially from the great knowledge that gets shared here.

Thanks Dom,  There's always some thing new to learn.

Col

Cuttyhunker

Col,
I haven't opened up any of them, The old girls, to me, should be left alone, and I don't want to burr any of the screws.  I do sneak in a little lube if they are stiff and Otto's original designs just spin so sweet.  As a businessman for most of my life I admire another guy who has stepped up and knows what he's doing.
Fish On,
Bob
Doomed from childhood

oc1

Quote from: milne on October 10, 2019, 08:53:28 PM
it's great finding and getting them, but even better when you crack them open and find that circle K as well.
Do you think that Circle K thing might be the mark of the outfit that made the mold for Penn?  Making the molds was/is a whole separate business from using molds to cast stuff.  Somewhere on line I once came across a site that had pictures of registered trademarks.
-steve

milne

Hi Steve,
             Yes, for the 32 & 33 year, Penn contracted there side plates out to a company called kuhn and Jacob, so seeing there mark will definitely date the reel to 33 in my instance for the Seahawk. I believe Penn ordered there own side plates in late 33, but once 34 came along, kuhn and jacobs plates were no longer used. The early Seafords, I believe, were the first to use Penn's own plates ( I could stand to be corrected there).
So finding the stamp on the inside plates is a good way of dating the reel to 33........
Heres a shot of the JK marking on the Seahawk tail plate that I'm currently stripping and cleaning. this reel has the mark on both plates.
Hope it comes out clear enough to see.

Col

Crow

I learn something new here, every day ! I had never seen those "dome" click buttons !

I've been stuck on the 49 series reels....for some reason I find them very interesting. I have a 349HC...fer fishin', thanks to Lee (and pretty soon I'll be testing that one out !), as well as a 349HC, for "looking at"....but, there was lots of room on that shelf, so........a 349, a 349H, and a "red' 349H, have crawled in from the mailbox ;). Three separate buys...all ebay.....total for all three, delivered was a little less  than $80, so I don't *think* I spent too much, although there are a couple broken / cracked outer rings, and one spool is pretty "green".  They should shine up well enough to fill that shelf !  I've got a couple more 49's "en route", too.....maybe I'll have to build MORE shelves ???
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

There's some very nice reels popping up here and I got a 85,,,,,, ;D

Crow

Neat looking plates on that one, Benni !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

Quote from: Crow on October 12, 2019, 01:14:11 AM
Neat looking plates on that one, Benni !
thank you my friend and very nice 349's you got

milne

Get some more shelves Crow,
   It's a hard habit to kick, so just give into it   ;D

Col

milne

So I got stuck into the 33 Seahawk and gave it a good old cleaning. The old grease inside the plates and around the gears was particularly hard to get off,
But the inside plates came up real good.

milne

A quick scrub up with my trusty tooth brush and a new dowsing of grease and she came up a treat.
The chrome ware is showing it's age, I saw somewhere that some use a polish to get them looking even schmicker, I was kinda happy to
leave it showing the old patina and I was really happy with how she came out.
There's a couple of buff marks in the tail plate, not bad, but after all she is 85 + years old now,
But certainly good enough for my shelf, one of my favourites now.....
I only have an old iphone to take photo's with, I don't think it's doing this reel justice...

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!