Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

foakes

Beautiful work, Milne!

You know what you are about...

I too, appreciate the simple patina of 85 years --

And yet -- the old soldier is ready and willing for another battle either in the salt or hooking shelf fish...

Impressive & inspiring!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Beauty of a job on that sea hawk. I am surprised though that there isn't a KJ on  both plates.   :-\
Keep up the nice work,
Dom

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Cuttyhunker

That one is about as close to owning the 32 "F" as most of us are likely to get with that leftover dome.  Did production numbers survive for the K & F model reels?  Hope I look that good if I can get past 85!! ::)
Doomed from childhood

mo65

That's how ya clean up a reel...bravo Col!! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Quote from: broadway on October 12, 2019, 12:25:53 PM
Beauty of a job on that sea hawk. I am surprised though that there isn't a KJ on  both plates.   :-\
Keep up the nice work,
Dom
Hi Dom, Sorry, i should have mentioned, yes there is the KJ emblem on both plates. I didn't realise at first the head plate had one too when I first
              cracked it open, then there she was !!   was like a kid in a lolly shop when I saw it   ;D

Thanks guys, as I said, I really enjoyed cleaning this one, maybe because it was such a simple reel to do, because of it's simplicity inside, or the fact it
              it is a 33 model,  but it was very enjoyable.......

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteDid production numbers survive for the K & F model reels?

Yes. There were about 1000 of each Model F & K reels made. Where the guess work comes in is how many Model K's with Star verses without Star drag were built. I feel the Model K with the Star drag were made for most of the production run. The non-star Model K is much more rare.

broadway

Col, I'm not looking to second guess you, as you have the reel in front of you, but something looks strange with the JK markings. The head plate looks to have markings (when zooming in) that look to be carved in the plate (removing material) as opposed to the "KJ" being in relief. Can you show a closer shot of the head plate marking?
Thanks,
Dom

milne

Hi Dom,
             You can second guess me any time you want  ;D
    It may be my phone not giving a decent picture, it's getting old like me....
So cracked it open and wiped the new grease away, hope this is clearer,,
About the best I can do with this dinosaur phone..
I think it looks ok.

Col

nelz

Did y'all see the 30's Sea Hawk w/ dome clicker that just sold on the bay for $97? I thought it would go for much more.  I was gonna bid but got distracted and missed out. I bet someone from here ended up buying it!

milne

I saw that Nelz,  should clean up real nice too.  Pity about the big scratch in the tail plate but !.

Mind you, there's been one sitting there with the waffle clicker for a while for a lazy $400......
tidy reel but....

Col

broadway

Thanks Col... I was kinda hoping it wasn't there, but I know you wanted the KJ on both so wasn't trying to crap on your parade, ya know?
I asked because if it didn't exist and the head plate was original to the reel which is looks like it is then maybe it would be a transition reel.  Meaning transitioning from the KJ plates to the first Penn factory made plates.
This would be cool to see (and I'm sure they are out there) because there would have to be some slight variations unless they took the molds from KJ, which they may have I don't know.
You did a nice job and now you have a great shelfie to add to a blooming collection.
Best,
Dom

milne

Hi Dom,  That's kinda funny right there..
           Because I'm in cleaning mode, I have just disassembled my 33 kingfisher trade reel,,, I opened it up when I got it, briefly looked at the tail plate to see the JK markings, saw it was relatively clean and screwed it back together. So That's the next cab off the ranks for a "MO" special clean up.
Just as  point, It has the markings on both plates. But I hear you about the "transitional stage",  If I had more 33 year models I could look, but sadly no.
I know for sure, my 34 model reels have no markings and as previously mentioned, my 2 - 33 Seafords are blank on both plates as well.

interesting

Col

broadway

You're doing well with your restorations, and have no doubt you'll find plenty more '33 reels to see what you find. You're right, by '34 the marks are definitely gone.
Thanks for the clarification photo,
Dom

Crow

I had another 49 arrive today.....I gave more for it ($34), than I usually spend, but it appeared to be in really good shape, with rings all intact....and I REALLY *needed* that spool ::)!  I didn't notice , from the ebay pix, but I see, on closer inspection, that it has the smaller *star wheel*. This one won't get "messed with" until next spring (more to do , now, than I have time for! And "fishin' time is coming...fast !) soit's just going to get a "spray down" with WD-40, and go on to the "waiting list"!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !