Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gfish

Thanks for posting that Penn-chron. Love those old adds. Interesting how they were so littoral with their claims.
"Back-lash and Tangled Lines are "total"strangers to these new Far Kast Bay City reels". I'll bet I could backlash onea those without goin way outta my way. That device must cut down on casting distance...

I recently got a Zebco Cardinal 6 from Todd(Hardy Boy) with a tag on the rotor; "SALTWATER PROFF" and my size 4 Zeb. Card. says;" TOTALY CORROSION RESISTANT"on the rotor, which is a little more believable with the word;"resistant",but probably not that accurate.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for posting that Penn-chron. Love those old adds. Interesting how they were so littoral with their claims.
"Back-lash and Tangled Lines are "total"strangers to these new Far Kast Bay City reels". I'll bet I could backlash onea those without goin way outta my way. That device must cut down on casting distance...

I recently got a Zebco Cardinal 6 from Todd(Hardy Boy) with a tag on the rotor; "SALTWATER PROFF" and my size 4 Zeb. Card. says;" TOTALY CORROSION RESISTANT"on the rotor, which is a little more believable with the word;"resistant",but probably that accurate.

Advertising claims are always a "Pie in the Sky" kind of truth. The Far Kast reels were only marketed a few years. Ocean City must have lost a fortune trying to sell them. Penn was smart enough to not take them past the design phase.

Benni3

A friend mark,,,got this seaford and wanted some info on it,,,,,, ;D

Maxed Out

Hey Benni, 3 post and round spool bushing means it's 1933. The handle blade looks out of place. Almost looks like ocean city style
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Is that handle soldered onto the sleeve?
-steve

Benni3

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 13, 2020, 06:03:23 AM
Hey Benni, 3 post and round spool bushing means it's 1933. The handle blade looks out of place. Almost looks like ocean city style
1933 thanks and yes the handle is out of place
Quote from: oc1 on January 13, 2020, 06:06:46 AM
Is that handle soldered onto the sleeve?
-steve
i think and i hope a little heat can fix it,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

Thanks very much for the info ,,,,, :D Mark's very happy he's not going to fix the handle,,,, ;) just curious will the parts from a Atlantic work,,,,,, ;D

Sharkb8

This came in the mail yesterday a penn 190 look in good condition, I will just clean the outside ,it has a nice picture side plate too.

milne

Crow

That's in great shape ! I see no signs of corrosion, or boat rash.....somebody took care of that one !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis came in the mail yesterday a penn 190 look in good condition, I will just clean the outside ,it has a nice picture side plate too.

Nice Model 190. The handle has been upgraded to a Model 180 handle. The original post war 190's had a wood knob handle.

Deepennz

Hi Sharkb8,
Is there any yardage stamping on the reel foot? - it should have '100yds' stamped on it - if so it is a lovely example of the 1941/42 model190.
Well Done!!
Martin

Sharkb8

Yes Martin it does have 100yds stamped on the reel foot thanks everyone for the info

Kim

Benni3

Ok this came in the mail today there was 2 mixed match two tone reels on ebay I got 1,,,,, ;) but I just needed the tail plate for the other,,,,, ;D