Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

broadway

Beautiful Mike!
...and tough to find also.
Best
Dom

Penn Chronology

Quote.and tough to find also.

Oh yea, there are more people looking for them than there are pieces available. I know of about six of them found, some rough. A mint complete package with brochures, tags and box could easily bring $500 to $700.

broadway

ReelFishingProblems

Thank you all for the great info.
I'm extremely happy with this find, now I just need to get a good matching rod.
Nick

Lingwendil

Finally snagged a 210. Looked to be used very little, or very well taken care of. I waited for one with an aluminum spool to save a bit of cash, and found a neat surprise that wasn't evident in the listing pictures, if you can spot it :)

Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Lingwendil

I'll have to tear it down and clean it up as it sounds pretty dry, but it looks to be in fantastic shape, I'm glad I waited and grabbed this particular one.

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

xjchad

Nice snag!!
Looks like it already has the 24-66 handle you wanted too! 8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Lingwendil

Yup!

A welcome surprise for sure! Oil, grease, and drags is the plan, and I might try magging it.

Maybe a stainless sleeve and five stack drag eventually once I sell some stuff for extra play money.

thorhammer

thorhammer

I erred conservatively in your other post about handles, and had to check. I move handles around so often that's what's on my reels is rarely what is stock: the 210 and 309 are stock with 24-66. The 9 comes with 24-60, the 10 with 24-155. I think the 209 comes with 24-155 also. The Mag series was upgraded everywhere it counts in the same level wind package- the 210 has a Jigmaster drive train, so it's faster with a lot more drag than a 209, and magged. I use them for down-rigging because that 4.1 is nice for getting line after a knockdown.

When Ted has his Maxed Out blades in stock here soon, they are a great throw length for smaller Penn conventions- he says he measured them to fit between two hole settings on Penn stock power handles (I don't love putting stuff on the short hole, it's all cosmetic but I don't). I put the Maxed Out blades or Alan's SS jiggy blades on all my upgraded reels, with a bigger knob. I think you find the stock torpedo knob wimpy in terms of cranking down on something if you upgrade everything else- at least to go the newer style paddle handle 24-66. JMO.

Lingwendil

I don't see any markings stating mag tuned like on the 10, but it's coming apart for a good clean and refresh tonight anyway so we'll see. Good info on the handle, either way I like it better than the handle size the 209 and 10 use, it's a bit more comfortable to hang onto. If I ever upgrade this handle when I do the sleeve/drags I can always swap it to the 10 :)

It's got a freshwater stand that I'll be swapping out for the salt stand (and clamp/bolt kit) from one of my other 209 reels. I feel like none of my rods are nice enough for it, so it'll end up on an Ol' Whiskers 10" MH rod for now.

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on February 11, 2020, 03:16:39 PM
It's already magged- it's a 210 Mag :)

I have never come across a magged 210 yet...I'm beginning to think that is a misprint on the Mystic site. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on February 11, 2020, 03:16:39 PM
It's already magged- it's a 210 Mag :)

John, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think ALL 210's are magged?
Anthony's has an aluminum spool, so it very well could be, but I have one with a chrome or stainless spool that is not.

Quote from: Lingwendil on February 11, 2020, 03:49:42 AM
Yup!

A welcome surprise for sure! Oil, grease, and drags is the plan, and I might try magging it.

Maybe a stainless sleeve and five stack drag eventually once I sell some stuff for extra play money.

Hey Anthony,
If you want a little bit more handle, I've got a brand new 245-320 you can have for it.
Let me know and I'll send it out to you NC.

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Lingwendil

I think I could try that out :)
Sending you a PM :)

thorhammer

Better check that- the 320 fits the 113H size gear sleeve, Type "B". The 310 fits the smaller Type "A" sleeve of the 210, Jiggy and a hundred other small Penn's. It's an "S" for stainless- not a 5.

Very happy with the switch to 24S-310's on my Mag 10's.