Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

This just came in $16.07 ? It seems to work ok - the spoil,,,,,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

I don't know much about this reel,,,,,, ??? Just that's it's not a repaint and it's a semi black,,,,,I could get a spool strip it and repaint all of it a perfect match,,,,, :D I just don't know what I got,,,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

The only thing I would do is find a green spool and put an emblem on it.   ;D  There are ways to identify which model it is by dimensions.  They did make a few rare black ones.  Someone showed one here once.  Might have been Keith.
-steve

Maxed Out

Looks like a Penn 710 to me, but I'm not an eggspert  ;)

The black ones can be found, just not as common as the green.

710 is left hand crank, 711 is right hand
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on February 22, 2020, 05:06:18 AM
The only thing I would do is find a green spool and put an emblem on it.   ;D  There are ways to identify which model it is by dimensions.  They did make a few rare black ones.  Someone showed one here once.  Might have been Keith.
-steve
Quote from: Maxed Out on February 22, 2020, 06:30:49 AM
Looks like a Penn 710 to me, but I'm not an eggspert  ;)

The black ones can be found, just not as common as the green.

710 is left hand crank, 711 is right hand
Thanks very much my friends,,,,,,,, :D I did a little bit of research and silver 710 emblems,,,,some had black plastic spools,,, :) 1or2days of production 400 where made of the semi flat and 400 of the black texture and 1hr=10 to 100 where made in the 711,,,,,, ;) but this could just be folklore stories,,,,,,,,, ;D

1badf350

Benni I read that on SOL too. Not sure where it originated or if its true. Here are the ones I have. The one in the middle is textured
I've seen them in boxes with silver metal corners. Im not sure. I figured if this was done, as rumor says, on the first day, the boxes would all be early white cornered boxes and they would all be the same.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

broadway

I've seen about a dozen Penn "blackies" in the past three months and many many in the past ten years  so I feel that number is fictitious as is the story being told.
They are tougher to find in nice condition but rare they are not.  Definitely conversation starters though.
Best
Dom

festus

I hadn't ordered a Penn conventional in quite a while, but ran across this 180 Baymaster with box and Penn tool.  Shipping was higher than cost of the reel.

It's in excellent shape. Somewhere along the line a previous owner upgraded the handle.

This reel is very clean, no corrosion on the exterior, the frame posts, stand, and trim rings don't have a speck of tarnish. A few scruffs and scratches when you look hard enough.

The scenery on the non-handle side plate really stands out, water, lighthouse, and clouds.

Looking inside.  This reel should be a piece of cake to service.

Gotta say this Baymaster 180 arrived in best shape than any of Penn I've ordered from ebay. Things might not be so fine after I look under the bridge plate, but I'd be surprised.

Anyone else out there fish the Baymaster 180?  

xjchad

I love those 180 Baymaster's, wish I could find a few more.
That one is a beauty Chester!
I gave one to my son to build (thread here: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24184.0) and this is what we came up with.

First time out he caught a shark  ;D

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Very cool!
keep it up young man!🙂

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Very nice find and very clean reel,,,,,, ;D

Donnyboat

Hi Chester, that is a nice find, thanks for showing us, & Chad, that young man would be chuffed with the shark he caught, & I bet  his dad is to, good work, he would want to goe fishing every day ay, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

Quote from: festus on February 24, 2020, 10:56:42 PM

Absolutely! They make great light catfishing reels. I put one together a few years ago specifically for musky. Just a few weeks ago I slapped a franken-180 together from spare parts.(shown below) Chad's son's 180 is one of my favs, and if I remember correctly Sal double-dogged one.
  That handle is probably stock Chester if it's a #24-160. The 180 used that handle during the time frame of that box with the white metal staples. It was the old prewar and early 50s 180 that used the tiny #24-109 handle. Fantastic buy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

Quote from: mo65 on February 25, 2020, 02:18:07 PM
Quote from: festus on February 24, 2020, 10:56:42 PM

Absolutely! They make great light catfishing reels. I put one together a few years ago specifically for musky. Just a few weeks ago I slapped a franken-180 together from spare parts.(shown below) Chad's son's 180 is one of my favs, and if I remember correctly Sal double-dogged one.
  That handle is probably stock Chester if it's a #24-160. The 180 used that handle during the time frame of that box with the white metal staples. It was the old prewar and early 50s 180 that used the tiny #24-109 handle. Fantastic buy! 8)

Where did you get that knob? So cool!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

Quote from: Darin Crofton on February 25, 2020, 07:21:38 PM
Where did you get that knob? So cool!

That's a fleabay special Darin. The listing I bought from is long gone...2 for $9.50...but I saw they are selling for that singly now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baitcasting-Power-Knob-Fishing-Knob-Handle-Replacement-Reel-Care-Accessories/223472836700?hash=item340804e05c:g:b~kAAOSw5LZcpM~~
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~