Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This one isn't in collectible shape, but after a good going through, it's definitely in fishable shape now.

mo65

Quote from: festus on March 16, 2020, 10:59:24 PM
This one isn't in collectible shape, but after a good going through, it's definitely in fishable shape now.

It's in plenty good enough shape for me to collect it! ;)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

nelz

Quote from: festus on March 16, 2020, 05:44:30 PMBrakes work, bail is functioning, but a little slow, anti-reverse is ok.

Do you know you can use the gears from the 712 on this and make it 4:1?

festus

Quote from: nelz on March 17, 2020, 12:51:35 AM
Quote from: festus on March 16, 2020, 05:44:30 PMBrakes work, bail is functioning, but a little slow, anti-reverse is ok.

Do you know you can use the gears from the 712 on this and make it 4:1?
Didn't know that, thanks for the info.  I have a 712 also and might do some experimenting.

xjchad

Found this beauty (Penn 85) in a box of reels that Ted sent me.  ;D
It's pristine and I love the mottled coloration!

Husband, Father, Fisherman

festus

That is a beaut, Chad.  Those 85 are underrated reels--they cast very well for a budget model.

mo65

Quote from: festus on March 17, 2020, 06:52:24 PM
That is a beaut, Chad.  Those 85 are underrated reels--they cast very well for a budget model.

I agree. That 85 was a huge success for Penn for many years. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Benni3

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

These first three pics are Monofil 27 that arrived in decent shape, mostly grimy, very little corrosion.  Had plans for using their spools, frame posts, and stand to narrow some wider Penn conventionals.

Spent a rainy afternoon yesterday Frankenreeling a Surfmaster 200 into a 100 with the Monofil 27 parts.  The reel in front is the new Surfmaster 100 with 200 side plates.  The complete reel to the left is the remaining Monofil 27 that hasn't been cleaned.  The parts in the back are a rebuilt side plate from the donor Monofil 27 and the wider frame, frame post, and spool from the Surfmaster 200.

Crow

Looks like you made good use of a rainy day !!

ReelFishingProblems

I had to have some projects to tinker on while being cooped up at home for the next few weeks.

These two Penn's couldn't be more different I think.

The 714Z cleaned your really nice and is back to smooth as butter with the old gummed up grease cleaned out. (I did make a stupid mistake and break the retaining brass pieces on top of the spool shaft)

I have high hopes that the 12/0 will have new life breathed back into it.

At least I have something to do

xjchad

Looks like a great way to pass the time!

I'm super jealous of that Yuengling!  Can't get it here  :(
Husband, Father, Fisherman

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: xjchad on March 19, 2020, 08:45:30 PM
Looks like a great way to pass the time!

I'm super jealous of that Yuengling!  Can't get it here  :(

I'll drink a few for you.