Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

1badf350

Mike do you have my 4/0 senator with hex clicker in your file?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

xjchad

Quote from: xjchad on March 17, 2020, 06:47:19 PM
Found this beauty (Penn 85) in a box of reels that Ted sent me.  ;D
It's pristine and I love the mottled coloration!

Question for you guys...
I have this reel sitting in my office and pick it up to crank it and hear the dog ticking away.
One thing I noticed is that all the metal parts look different to me than on my other Penns.
On this reel, they don't look as "chrome", but more silver, like the color of my eating utensils at home.
Is it just me?  ???
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

That's a sweetheart, Chad !!

'll post some better pix of that surf master, in a day, or so.....those are sort of "blurry".....I'd LIKE to blame the camera....but, I'm thinking it's more the "cameraman" ::)
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on May 20, 2020, 08:10:29 PM
Question for you guys...
I have this reel sitting in my office and pick it up to crank it and hear the dog ticking away.
One thing I noticed is that all the metal parts look different to me than on my other Penns.
On this reel, they don't look as "chrome", but more silver, like the color of my eating utensils at home.
Is it just me?  ???

Those are the "tumbled" parts used on the budget models Chad. They weren't highly polished like the more traditional chrome parts you're used to seeing. They do have a more silvery appearance. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on May 20, 2020, 10:54:14 PM
Quote from: xjchad on May 20, 2020, 08:10:29 PM
Question for you guys...
Is it just me?  ???

Those are the "tumbled" parts used on the budget models Chad. They weren't highly polished like the more traditional chrome parts you're used to seeing. They do have a more silvery appearance. 8)

Thanks Mo!
That is great to know!
Is is bad that I think I like that look better?  :D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Ron Jones

I always liked it better also, more restrained I guess. Like the difference between an Audi RS5 and a Infiniti GTR, less flashy.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Crow

Here's some better pix of the 200. No part #'s visible.....no markings on the stand......hex click button. What do you suppose the age is ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

milne

The ones with the hex clickers I have, date around 40-41.
 Not sure on that type of handle for that era, but it may have been swapped out at some stage.
But from what I have found/researched, that hex clicker dates to the early 40's...
Another way to try and narrow down the date, remove the line on the spool, see if the arbour on the spool is rounded, which dates to after the war, or if it has a kinda ridge in the corner,, that would date it as pre war.
I have a boxed 200, with the spool arbour rounded, price on the box would make it 1946 on...
I'm sure someone else may have more detail...
Nice find...

Col

Crow

Yeah, I know this isn't the correct handle, and I've been "resisting" pulling the line...or any other "reel work", for that matter...I have WAY too much "real work", outside in the gardens, right now .

Crow

Rained today , so, I removed the line to check the spool, and I'm assuming it's the "older" version, as it has the same look as the prewar 49 spool

Deepennz

Hi Crow,
Nice find - That hex clicker dates it at 1941.
The correct handle for that reel  should have that late 1941 -1946 style smooth(no coin edge, no rings) counterweight, as seen on LB60's, Delmars, and Seagates from that era. The handle of my hex clicker SM200 has a dark brown, faux wood appearance.
Hope that helps!!

Take care out there
Martin

milne

Hi Crow,
          Yep, that spool, as Martin said, is Pre war, so the hex clicker makes it 41.
       Great find Sir !!.
     Should be easy enough to find the correct handle, then you have a pretty cool correct reel....
   It's funny how a whole lot of little characteristics make it from a particular year. I mean these reels probably had parts swapped due to a breakage maybe or a mishap, which can confuse the heck out of trying to date the things. But that early spool certainly narrows things down...

Col

1badf350

Got this 1936 Schultz Gamefisher today. (Senator 9/0) Its awful that someone replaced the handle.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

Swami805

Dang Chris,you find the jewels, that thing is clean too handle or no handle. What kind of handle should it have?
Do what you can with that you have where you are