Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI got this 6/0 package recently. Box price indicates 1946-1949.
The weird thing is that the reel is partially numbered. I have an identical 6/0 in the identical box without any numbers. Im wondering if this could be a mismatch or if it could be one of the last lighthouse boxes to leave the factory with a partially numbered reel??? Someone hand wrote a date of 7/13/50 in the white circle just above the light. Purchase date maybe???

I feel the part numbered parts were first used on Senators. Your reel could be one of those early reels that mixed numbered and non-numbered parts, even at a 1949 date. The 1949 catalog did have a illustrated parts list near the end of the catalog, so some stamped parts could have been around at that time. Unfortunately, there is no one left at Penn from that time period to ask about this. I would tend to think your reel is correct for the box.

wailua boy

I picked up this pair of sail fishers. They are a little beat but the price was right and I believe the one with red handle has a 3 piece spool and I believe is a first year.

Crow

Nice ! I wasn't aware there were "other" spools used on these. I have one I "went through", but haven't fished yet...maybe this winter !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

I have one. A great trolling reel. Gear ratio pretty low, but mine rolls in 26" of line/turn with that big ol' spool. Lots of unique parts,specific only to this reel.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

Yep, 1953 was introductory year for the 130 sailfisher, and had the 3 piece spool. 1954 was the year when Penn introduced heavy cast bronze spools on the 130 and also on the larger senators
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 24, 2020, 03:19:15 AM
What Ted said...

Just passing on info I learned from you Mike !
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Cuttyhunker

I recall reading, and have it in my notes, that the 3 piece was gone by 56, was that bad info or did the whole line change over to the cast brass take a few years to finish off?
Thanks
Bob
Doomed from childhood

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhat Ted said...

Just passing on info I learned from you Mike !

Well my friend, I suspect you have done a lot of learning on your own. Whatever I added makes me happy.

Happy Holiday!

milne

Haven't had to  much in the way of new finds of late. So while driving around on a wee holiday, 800 km's from any major city, happened to notice a local add with a picture. Photo was terrible, but I immediately recognised it as a 49,, there was a comment that it came with the original box, she sent me a photo of it.....  After a bit of negotiation, she delivered it to our hotel,,,, I was well pleased with it's condition, it's had very little use, with just a little bit of corrosion on the reel seat, which would be from not drying out the line. The box is in really good condition and it will sit very well with my other 40's boxed reels. $15 price tag, makes it between 46-49, the counter weight and both levers have the coin edge finish, I'm not to sure how long that went for, I didn't bring my Penn books with us. Got to be a good buying aT $150 Aussie, ( about $110 US ), I'm happy with that any how.

Col

Deepennz

Hi Col,
Awesome find - they reelly are where you find them!! You would be well chuffed with that!!
As you have noted - the reel is a late '40's reel, with a coin edged counterweight. These are the same sized counterweights that Penn used on their pre war 9/0 Senators, as well as the pre war #49's.
As your reel has shown, Penn continued to use up their coin edged C/w's on the model 49 until well into 1948/early 1949.... I believe that the '49 was the only reel to still have them after the war. (maybe the 149 also..need more research!!)
Cheers
Martin

milne

Hi Martin,  Thanks for that, It was a pleasant surprise, especially when your holidaying and not actually chasing anything.
Hope all's well with you across the pond. Left Melbourne on Saturday, which was a pleasant 22 c, only to find the weather on the NSW border was a barmy 42c,  absolutely near killed us.......  Have a wedding to attend just south of Sydney for our God Daughter, was absolutely fantastic that the borders opened just in time to drive up,,,, Just got to get used to the heat !!

All the best

Col

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"