Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I don't remember ever seeing handle knobs that color.  They look great.  I like #9 better though.
-steve

milne

Yeah, I do like those handle shapes, I've seen them in different colours, but it's the shape I luv...

Nice find

Col

milne

A bit quiet on the purchase front of late......
But managed to snare a couple of beauties...
The first, just made it in to my collector year range, A 130 Sailfisher.
Didn't know too much about these, but found a wee write up from Mo on these beasts.
An interesting reel, haven't stripped it down yet, but the reel it self, is in near perfect condition, I do not think it was fished.
The box, has seen better years, but I will have to support it inside to preserve it. Came with the 20 Catal0gue, so a 57..
A reel that I'll enjoy stripping down and getting a look inside, From memory, I think it was said they have some stand alone parts, not interchangeable..

Col

Can't seem to post a photo the old way, additional options, via photo's stored on my computer... ??

Donnyboat

Yes Col, the sailfisher 130, are a nice solid reel, I have one with black plates  a pink marble handle, reasonably narrow reel for the size, enjoy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

milne

Thanks Don, Hope all is well over your way ??
Seem to be able to post Pic's now, so added the photo of my 130....

Next
Managed to get a 35 boxed long beach, with catalogue, which was exciting to receive and add to my other 30's boxes...

Col

Maxed Out

Sweet score Col. The box is very great find, and the reel looks to be hardly used along with a very nice 1935 brochure. Yep, you did well !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

Another score there.  Is the picture on cover of the catalog the same as one of the side plate relief pictures?  It looks vaguely familiar.

Has anyone ever really gotten down in the weeds with the side plate pictures?  Accumulated them all. Dug up any information about who designed and engraved them?
-s

Donnyboat

That would be interesting Steve, Col, love the old boxes with  reels you have, I have a nice Long Beach 68 reel with box, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

milne

Quote from: oc1 on February 05, 2021, 07:22:04 AM
Another score there.  Is the picture on cover of the catalog the same as one of the side plate relief pictures?  It looks vaguely familiar.

Has anyone ever really gotten down in the weeds with the side plate pictures?  Accumulated them all. Dug up any information about who designed and engraved them?
-s

Steve, I actually had to check,, but there weren't side plate engravings on reels in 35, but there is an overall similarity with the 40's type boxes and the Squidder has a similar engraving, fisherman with sailing yacht. I can't confirm whether this actual one is on a side plate or not, certainly not ones I have thus far...  I do recall somewhere someone aiming to collect all the said side plate pictures, if not here, it would be a great thread for sure.

Col

milne

Quote from: Donnyboat on February 05, 2021, 08:40:31 AM
That would be interesting Steve, Col, love the old boxes with  reels you have, I have a nice Long Beach 68 reel with box, cheers Don.

Hi Don, yes, I was extremely lucky to get offered the 35 Longbeach, from a member here actually. There's something about the 30's boxes.
I still have many Longbeaches left to collect in all honesty, mainly the larger ones,  Geez, it never ends mate.
Hope you are well, I hear there are fires raging over your way ???

Col

Donnyboat

So true Col it never ends, your in the rabbit hole now, we are about 150 Km South of Perth, the current fire started near Wooraloo East of Perth, the South East winds are taking it North West, right up to Bullsbrook, that near the Pearce air force base, the Great Northern highway runs through there, they have lost about 86 houses, they have it contained at the moment, But strong winds are forecast, the next few days, know lives have been lost, fortunately enough, we have had a covid 19, lock down, over here for the last week, That has made it easier for the fire brigades to move around, with less traffic on the Roads.
Don, or donnyboat

54bullseye

Cuttyhunker

There's a 113H somewhere under the grease.....I think.  Makes me feel stingy with the slippery stuff
Doomed from childhood

alantani

there was a video of a charter boat captain recommending exactly this.  as crazy as it seems, i can totally understand someone getting frustrated enough to want to do this!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!