Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Penn Chronology

QuoteIs anyone smart about when the front lugs appeared on the 9/0?

QuoteLooking at my collection I'm gonna say, super early second gen., maybe '41-ish.
I have one without the two sets (only one skinny set) of lugs but all the rest (6) have two sets. All my first gens have one set of skinny lugs.
Also, I don't have my catalogs handy at the moment, so that's the best I can at the moment.
Hope that helps,

Just had this discussion in a private Facebook message and your explanation is pretty right on Dom. Early pre-war second gen models had front lugs (1942, maybe 1941 also) Very hard to say positively when they actually started. No first gen build styles have front lugs. Catalogs not much help here. If you use the catalog as a guide line, Second gen with front lugs does not start until 1949 and we know that is not the case. Between 1941 and 1949, many reels were made in first and second gen configurations. It was a transitionary time. Old parts were getting used up. I feel that first and second gen build styles were being sold at the same time right before the war and right after it. By about 1950, Penn was settled in a solid second gen reel with front lugs, a new logo and parts numbers. Then they stayed that way forever.

Bill B

Quote from: Benni3 on July 21, 2021, 04:42:44 AM
Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on July 17, 2021, 11:33:15 PM
John, I have an 808 and a 404 that has your name written all over them....yours if you want them N/C......Bill
The 404 me and marlo had as a kid and we didn't like it,,,,, :( but the 808 is from the 70's and it is a fantastic reel,, very collectible in the zebco world and still use for catfish today that's what there looking for,,,,,,,,,,, ;D

Well the 404, 808, and a 707, plus 7 lbs of other "goodies" are on their way back east.....this box should keep those youngsters busy for a while....😉
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Cuttyhunker

Thanks Mike and Dom,
I recall the gen 2's were introduced pre-war, how about this for a theory based on a 12/0 fact we do have. 12/0 introduced 1937 no lugs, 1938 front lugs appear on the 12/0 so would not have Otto made the change to the 9/0 at the same time? Being the thrifty guy he was the catalog line art remained unchanged for a few years.  1Bad 350 Chris has astutely noted the migration of the drilled arbor from the edge towards the center as time moved on, one of my posted shots shows that location on my reel, would that be a better tell?
Thanks again
Bob
Doomed from childhood

thorhammer

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on July 21, 2021, 04:12:04 PM
Quote from: Benni3 on July 21, 2021, 04:42:44 AM
Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on July 17, 2021, 11:33:15 PM
John, I have an 808 and a 404 that has your name written all over them....yours if you want them N/C......Bill
The 404 me and marlo had as a kid and we didn't like it,,,,, :( but the 808 is from the 70's and it is a fantastic reel,, very collectible in the zebco world and still use for catfish today that's what there looking for,,,,,,,,,,, ;D

Well the 404, 808, and a 707, plus 7 lbs of other "goodies" are on their way back east.....this box should keep those youngsters busy for a while....😉

Thanks sir!

oldmanjoe

:)  My brother handed me two boxes of reels , here this will keep you busy for a while..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bill B

Looks like there's some gold in that group....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oldmanjoe

I took a inventory  ..    2 ] 9/0s    2] 77s   2 ]704z     ,4/0 ,67,500, 3/o ,     750ss ,550ss ,440ss ,712z , 710     130quick ,440 quick and a oc inductor
   2 old compasses  , hand winder and a home made mooching reel .          I just need to make some time to start cleaning them up ..       
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rancanfish

Hmmm, if it was my brother he would expect me to fix them up so he could sell 'em, lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

milne

Not a Penn Reels - just as you find them item...

But.....
These 2 items were in a plastic bag, along with a reel seat and Penn wrenches, which came with a 37 first Gen 12/0 Senator..
I've often opened the bag and sat there and milled things over in my head, but that hurts to much now  ;D

There brass, old and about 5 inches long.  I've come up with a few radical ideas as to what they are, some inventive, some ridiculous..
But I thought I would share anyways.
The whole package was from Ray's collection, the plastic bag they came in, was neatly tapped down, I can't imagine Ray putting non obscure non fishing reel related items in with the reel seat and bolts etc. I did wonder whether they were for the top clamps, back to a gimble type set up ??

Look, they sure are used and old, no markings or makers names, Can't see any such wonders offered in Penn's catalogues...
Thoughts ???
If they do indeed turn out to be some form of reel clamp/support and specific to a reel someone owns,, then I'm you man...

Interested in anyone's thought.....  probably just generic thingy ma bobs,  who knows  ;D

wailua boy

Could they be rod tie downs that connect to harness lugs?

oc1

Shoulder harnesses used to have clips like that.  Unlike a snap hook, they can be released under tension when you are being dragged overboard.

Reeltyme

Definitely harness lugs. I have the same snaps on an old harness in my shop.

milne

Thanks for the replies...
I found a photo of an old " fighting Harness " which had these clips attached on a long leather strap...
Obviously the first year 12/0 only had the 2 lugs, hence two in the plastic bag.
I don't know whether they were used on this reel or not, it's had little if any use by the looks. But I might try and find one of those pictured harnesses that I saw in a photo and add it to the collection...
Great stuff, learn something new every day....

Col