Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Col,  Clean up the reel, clean up the clips, and display them attached together.
Neat pieces of fishing gone by...
Best
Dom

milne

Done Deal Dom, 
                Was already on to that  ;D
Don't have to many reels left that aren't packed away at the minute, due to our pending sale...
But Yep, I'm happy I gave these harness lugs a good cleaning and now not hidden away in a bag....

Thanks guys

Col

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

broadway

You said it, D!
Looks good to me, Col.
You have some beauties in there I see. :o
Keep it up,
Dom

milne

Thanks guys... I think there a cool piece of history...

Dom, I couldn't pack all my reels away, just left a few favourites out to admire, but, I'm pretty well thinking that these would be the last ones I would want to see go missing, with people coming in for open homes and the like,,, So, they will all have to be packed up and go into storage as well...
I'm going to be Lost !!!!

Col

mo65

Looks great Col. I love seeing those pieces from Ray's collection. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Wompus Cat

Got a Deal or so it was on the Bay and guy shipped it in just a padded envelope .
Needless to say The Post Gorillas made an example of it on How to use a Penn 68 as a Bowling Ball .
I will fix it ...........and he did refund my money and said he allowed the post office to ship it that way as they told him it would be FINE  ..... lesson learned  he said .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oc1

Ya' know, that may have been a good place to break the sideplate.  Almost all of the structural integrity is still there.  You could probably fish with it that way.

Gfish

Quote from: oc1 on July 31, 2021, 04:16:15 AM
Ya' know, that may have been a good place to break the sideplate.  Almost all of the structural integrity is still there.  You could probably fish with it that way.

Ha! Funny but true. I don't think the post office people would tell him that. Ya never know though. New plate or glue the original? Looks like you got alota Dacron line with it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

Ya' know, that may have been a good place to break the sideplate.  Almost all of the structural integrity is still there.  You could probably fish with it that way.

It is broken in three pieces right through the Bearing .The only thing holdng them together is the Clicker spring and the chrome ring has a significant bend to it .
I have fixed worse . I have new plates but like a  challenge .
There is way too much line on it indeed  .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 31, 2021, 12:08:09 PM

It is broken in three pieces right through the Bearing .The only thing holdng them together is the Clicker spring and the chrome ring has a significant bend to it .
I have fixed worse . I have new plates but like a  challenge .
There is way too much line on it indeed  .

OUCH   that hurt .....  May have to put a internal ring on the back plate for strength .
    This was done way before the super glues came to be !!!!!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

This looks like it might be kind of old. But it has part #s so it can't be thaaat old. I suspect if I intend to use it, a new spool would be a minimum requirement.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oc1

The photo makes it look like that spool cracked open exposing some internal organs or something.  It's rough all over but I'm sure you can fix it.

thorhammer

someone has a plate for this 3/0 somewhere; the 111 plate also fits. Throw all the parts in simple green for a couple days to degrease, then into white vinegar for a couple more. What you will end with may not be pretty, but it will be old with a few knockout punches left (like me, lol). I'll send you a clamp set if you dont have one. These reels dont have huge gears, but that one probably has a steel main, so polish the brass washers and put in new carbontex,  find a plate and call it done. Much more than that is worth more than the reel, but it will be solid for a lot of things with that done.

John

Cuttyhunker

Jason,
If the spool cleans up and spins true, put on some dacron backing and fish it.  I have two old 2/0's (3 piece spools) leadline over dacron on small rods for trolling small to medium stripers and blues.  They still fish just fine.
Doomed from childhood