THE TANK TRAVELS THE WORLD-PHOTOS AND REPORTS TO COME

Started by Dominick, November 04, 2015, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Its a great fishing day when you have to drag your catch across the yard... Jeff

David Hall

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on December 10, 2019, 04:16:07 AM
I'm with Mo... great shot of Dominick showing homage to the Almighty Red Cooler.
Photo of the month X2.
Good stuff,
Dom

A man gotta do what a man gotta do.  It worked as you can see.  Then again we had the Buttman as a mentor.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 10, 2019, 05:29:02 PM
Its a great fishing day when you have to drag your catch across the yard... Jeff

thas pic has a great potential as a meme for "you know its great day of fishing when you see this"
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Dear members: As you may know the Tank was developed by Sal Ciarlante.  After double dogging the Penn he sent it to me as a gift.  He told me to put a hurting on the reel and to push it as hard as possible.  I did that and more (review the prior pages).  Shortly after receiving the reel and using it in Mexico it was sent back to Sal for service.  Since then there have been several upgrades and the reel is now able to catch most fish, even a grander (though that would take some finesse).  If you read the prior pages you will see that the Tank has gone across the world from some places in the U.S, to Mexico to Tasmania to Pakistan.  Having said this I want you all to know the reel is still available to borrow and to "put a hurting on it."  So in memory of Sal any of the AT members that want to use the reel are welcome to it.  All you have to do is ask.  The only rule in borrowing it is that you pay the postage to return it and post photos of your fishing trip with the Tank.  Feel free to post a reservation for the reel.  Tight Lines.  RIP Sal.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Gobi King

Dom, I am in, I will definitely use it to put the hurt on the local chinook population - planning on using it for next springs salmon trolling here in MI.

Maybe even for some muskie after that on the St Clairs lake.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Brewcrafter

Dominick - You are the caretaker of a truly groundbreaking and significant part of the forum, and reel modifications overall.  When I look at my hotrodded 113's, I know that they would not have been possible without Sal and others paving the way.  Thank you so much for sharing, The Tank is clearly a Nexus of all that was, and all that we take for granted now. - john

Bill B

This is a legacy reel folks.  Commissioned by Dominick and built by Sal.  A true Ohana build via Italian roots. I have met and ate with Dominick and knew Sal through this website, and better people you will never find! Period! 

The loss of Sal has hit me bad....more than I thought it could or would....

Cherish those that are still with us, and honor those that we have lost...  I apologize for my ramblings....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Benni3

Can I avoid the shipping costs if you bring it to me or I go to it,,,,,, ;D

Dominick

Quote from: Benni3 on October 21, 2020, 07:17:32 AM
Can I avoid the shipping costs if you bring it to me or I go to it,,,,,, ;D
you got it Benni.  come on west... Dominick

milne

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on October 21, 2020, 05:01:15 AM
This is a legacy reel folks.  Commissioned by Dominick and built by Sal.  A true Ohana build via Italian roots. I have met and ate with Dominick and knew Sal through this website, and better people you will never find! Period!  

The loss of Sal has hit me bad....more than I thought it could or would....

Cherish those that are still with us, and honor those that we have lost...  I apologize for my ramblings....Bill

Hi Dominick, That was great to bring this to the fore again, I've enjoyed reading the travels of the tank...

And as far as apologising for your Ramblings  Bill,,,  No Sir,  I think your post and Dominick's mirrors what most people here are thinking, you both managed to put it into words beautifully..

Thanks for keeping the "Tanks Travels" alive, if my boat was back on the water, I would shout out and give the Tank another bashing down under !!.

Stay safe..

Col

Dominick

You got it Shibly.  Just send me the date you want me to send it.  Any other takers?  Dominick

gstours

Thanks Dom for resurrecting the facts that Sal put this reel together after years of working on what was his challenge.  The upgrades a decade ago were only a hope or desire to many reelers.
  The longer sst side plate screws, diy double dogs, delrin washers, hex drag washers he made from carbon fiber sheet, advocating a sst gear sleeve and seeing it into production for us, even building his own custom red crank handle knob. 
  Shown below is the drag star duplicate that he sent me after the second trip.  It's just the most comfortable and smooth stainless steel Star I've ever used.   Thanks again Sal.
  Sal did a lot of testing this reel we now know as THE TANK.  Many of these upgrades are available to purchase now to the public butt we should never forget and thank him for his efforts.
  Sal wanted to retain the penn side plates to keep the original look.  I like that even more after his passing.
I,m glad to say that the Tank has fishes well on my boat on several occasions.  I strongly recommend that folks out there do take up the offer to borrow it and fish with it as you will be making Sal proud and never have an offer like this again.

Dominick

That star was made by Adam.  He only made a few, as they took to much time and effort to make.  Sal was kind enough to put it on the Tank.  It is the best star made, smooth and comfortable to use.  Gary made the thumb protector.  It is really handy for live lining down in Baja.  Dominick