Ambassadeur 5000 and 6000

Started by Zimbass, November 07, 2015, 07:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimbass

A friend has 2 oldie Ambassadeur's that he is sentimental about, and has asked me to restore them for him.

There are so many models of these out there, so I am not sure which schematic to use to order the parts. I intend to order them from southwesternparts.com .

Both the reels are red with the 5000 model having 67516 on the foot. The 6000 model does not have any number on the foot. Both the feet are plain, not chequered. They are supposed to be around the 1960's, but could be 70's.

Any input into knowing what year they are or which schematic I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

GulfOfBothnia

For the 5000 model I know a couple of milestones.

Four screw model (4 pillar screws on left side plate) was manufactured until 1967 or 1968. After that there are 3 screws.
Checkered foot came about 1972.
Considering low serial number 67516 I suspect the reel being manufactured before 1960 - could be 1956 ( #61439 was shipped in April 1956 from Abu Sweden)

Information above extracted from Simon Shimomura's books.

I would look for very early schematics. Try e.g. mikes reel repair
You may also find this story interesting: http://www.realsreels.com/servicing/reeltuningoldambassadeurs.pdf

nelz

I recently got parts for a very old 5000 directly from Abu Garcia. I was amazed they had them.

Zimbass

Thank you gents. I have been able to establish that these reels were both late 50's models. The oldest schematic does show the basic reel parts, however, being in this part of the world, ABU does not ship to me. Also, the cost of the parts, plus duty and the shipping makes the cost prohibitive.

Reels are badly corroded with the frame on the 6000 also needing replacement. I have managed to get the reels looking respectable and in a working condition, but only for the shelf. Owner happy that he has his Dad's reels looking the way they did when he was alive.

That in itself is worth the effort.

Terry.

nelz

What part of the globe are you in Zimbass?

I restored an old 6000 and turns out it was just dirty/grimy, so now it looks almost new. The red finish on these reels is magnificent, what a beauty! I've fished it a couple of times since, but the retrieve is dismally slow, and the drag is tiny. I did replace the two little disks with carbon, so it is smooth though.

I love the "two stage" gear engagement on these old models, and the clickers are great too.

Zimbass

Zimbabwe is my home. Landlocked Africa, so only fish freshwater.

Those old ABU's are pretty reels, but there are some that are beyond economical repair, as are the two I had. I mostly work on Shimano baitcasters, so find the internals of the Ambassadeur's very simple, yet efficient.

Cheers.

Terry.