most common problems

Started by TimH, January 19, 2011, 02:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimH

What are the most common problems you guys usually see in your ( or a customer's) reels?

akfish

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

kamuwela

lack of service, no pre use service either. frozen screws ruin everything

broadway

Used up/non-carbontex drag washers, over oiling, and as Kamuwela said, "Lack of pre-service"
Dom

franky

Lack of maintanence, frozen screws, and washers not reassembled in the proper order, and my big friend called "frozen pinion on the spool shaft"... ;D  :o

Oh and too much grease all over the place and it goes into the gearbox and wets the drag washers.  Keep in mind, its not the "shimano drag grease or cals grease", its the blue grease or some other kind of grease not meant to be on the drag washers.

Lucky we have this site to guide us with lots of pictoral examples.  People learn in many different ways.  I tend to be more visual.  I'm a firm believer in pictures speak a thousand words.  :)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TimH

What's the best way you guys deal with corrosion/rust?

Keta

Corosion. 
I wash down my gear at the end of the day.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Kamu uses WD40 http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=630.0 in the industrial size container.  Seems to work for him to get things cleaned up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D