Avet EXW 50/2 Rebuild

Started by JAWSANDHOOKS, January 19, 2011, 06:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAWSANDHOOKS

Cleaning my Avet, thought i'd take some pictures and put it on here.
Here's the schematic for a 50 wide http://www.avetreels.com/pdf/ProEXW50-2spd.pdf
I used Shimano Drag Grease because i didn't have Cal's. Also used Corrosion X and any marine all purpose grease.

Here's the reel, used about 4 times so far. I usually clean them, rather grease them, whenever I get a new reel. So this one's a little overdue. I started with the underside on the rod/reel clamp. Not much corrosion, but the threads and screws needed some grease.

Once I removed the rod mount, I greased it up well before putting it back on.

Greased the screws before putting them back on too.

Put the rod mount portion back together and pack the hexagonal part of the screw head with grease...it doesn't hurt anything, and that's how I got the reel from Avet anyways.

Now go ahead and back out the screws on the left side plate, don't worry about the order, they're all the same size. Just set them aside. Now we get a look at the machine work of the Avet. Everything was really well greased, which was good to find out. Here's the left side plate and the Anti-Reverse assembly.

This is the right side of the spool, also really well greased already.

This is the left side of the spool. You can see where the dogs fit in nicely, not allowing the spool to spin backwards, ever.

Wiped off all the grease and sprayed with Corrosion X and then wiped it clean again.

Grease it up and set it aside.

Here's the left side of the spool again. Remove this screw with a Phillips head and take off the left brake.

Take these pin clips off, there's 3 of them, don't let them pop off and fly into oblivion. After you get them off, set them aside and take off the Disc Brake.

Here's the carbon fiber washer dry.

Don't lose these pin springs....set them aside with your pin clips.

Now you gotta hold this brake retracting spring down in order to pull the shaft pin out.

Now you can take off the right brake.

Here is the spool shaft assembly. Avet gives you some reel lube, I put it along this shaft and on the bearings. Those belleville washers are lined up like "(())"

I cleaned and greased the gears well...two gears for two speeds  :twisted:

Apply a liberal amount of your drag grease to the carbon fiber washers. Then wipe it off.

Greased on the left...dry on the right.

Re-assemble the brakes and grease the metal surfaces with the marine grease.

Put plenty of that marine grease on your screws before putting everything on that left side plate back together.
As far as the right side plate goes, I just took out the screws one at a time, greased them and put them back.

Looks like they forgot to grease the Plate screws and the cover plate screws (pieces 42 and 54) at Avet...grease em up!

Here's the right side plate internals. Wipe it clean, Corrosion X it, wipe it clean and grease it up. Make sure you put Corrosion X on the clicker assembly.

After everything is well greased, I just put it all back together.

Some people choose not to grease the drag washers on Avets, but I wanted my stuff to last a while and stay smooth.
Overall I was happy to see that the reel was fine and can take some abuse. Besides the drag washers, Avets are all metal  :rockin

Props to Alan Tani... http://www.alantani.com

http://extremecoast.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17088

Norcal Pescador

Very nicely done tutorial - thanks! :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Very nice.  Thank you for sharing.

Ah, this is what it's all about. :D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

hey, there is alot of talent out there.  nicely done!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Saltyrick

wallacewt

Alto Mare

Nice job, thanks for sharing. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dazza-K

When I got my avet 50's I read about lumpy drags etc( I thought this was probably due to the gluing process) and that they needed to wear in a bit, so when I rebuilt mine from new I placed a sheet of 1200 sand paper on a flat marble slab and actually gave the carbon disks a gentle rub, this removed any high spots and when dusted off and greased I had perfectly smooth drags ...now I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do, but it took every bit of lumpiness out the new drags, on the picture above you can see the high spots on the drag washer that has not been greased yet...Darren

wallacewt

hi dazza
are you a pro fisherman by any chance?cheers

Dazza-K

no no I'm not a pro , just love playing with reels, that's why I run Avets in Australia, just to have something different.

redsetta

That's a great-looking reel Jaws - don't see too many like that in NZ.
Nice work, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

What kind if drags are you getting with full free spool?  On the low pins, I'm getting 17# at strike and 23# at full. On the high pins, I'm getting 12# at strike and 20# at full. Drag #s seem a bit low.

My bellevilles are ((())|.  I'm thinking I might change to |((((( to increase the drag a bit more. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ohfishalee

Why can't I see the pics 8n this post?

josa1

Yes, I can't see the pictures either but would sure like to!

josa1

sdlehr

Too bad, looks like the pics were removed from the host site.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector