willybendits broken reel seat

Started by willybendit, January 19, 2011, 07:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willybendit

Hi All   hear is the picture of the broken reel seat on my shimano TLD25   i was fishing in a sea loch  up scotland in 430ft  of water the fish i was after catching  are common Skate these fish grow in excess of  400LBS   i caught three fish the biggest one was a male of 140LBs    my mate fishing off his kayak caught one of 227LBS  female

hope you enjoy the pictures   tightlines Alain

alantani

i am not surprised, but this is actually the first broken tld 25 i've ever seen.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

whalebreath

I once managed to break a TLD25 the same way on a monster Halibut off the west coast of the Queen Charlotte islands-Shimano replaced the frame no questions asked.

I note the angler as pictured using quite a long rod to drag up those skates-a poor idea because the longer the rod the more leverage the fish has.

alantani

i will probably see a shimano rep tomorrow and will try to remember to ask. 

alantani

willybendit

Hi Whalebreath   the rod is 7ft long as are all my boat rods  this one is 50LBS class  i might be wrong but no matter how long the rod is  a 50lbs class rod at 7ft long is the same as a 6ft long rod   the fish as the same pull as i do    these skate stick to the bottom of the sea bed so its set the hook and apply maximum presure and once you  get them moving then you are ok  the lads on the yak hold on for upto a hour before the skate moves off  we have had lads towed 1 1/2 miles up the loch  before thay can over power the fish    great fishing  bit like trying to pull up a 8x4ft    barn door  out of 430ft of water     tightlines Alain

codhead

Quote from: willybendit on January 19, 2011, 07:41:32 PM
Hi All   hear is the picture of the broken reel seat on my shimano TLD25   i was fishing in a sea loch  up scotland in 430ft  of water the fish i was after catching  are common Skate these fish grow in excess of  400LBS   i caught three fish the biggest one was a male of 140LBs    my mate fishing off his kayak caught one of 227LBS  female

tightlines Alain

Call Stan Masey mate and ask him to sell you a proper reel  ;)
The older I get, the better I was

willybendit

Hi Codhead    who is Stan Massy    do you have his phone number  id like two tiagra 50`s   but will have to save up   tightlines Alain

codhead

Quote from: willybendit on January 21, 2011, 08:56:06 PM
Hi Codhead    who is Stan Massy    do you have his phone number  id like two tiagra 50`s   but will have to save up   tightlines Alain

Stan is the UK agent for Everol reels, he can be found at Alba Rods, contact link at bottom right of page. Give him a call and have a chat.

I've just received a VJ12 from him, absolutely awesome reel
The older I get, the better I was

willybendit

Hi Codhead    thanks for the reply