Fin-Nor Megalite 80

Started by cbar45, September 16, 2016, 02:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar45

I recently completed a service on the 2016 rendition of Fin-Nor's Mega Lite spinner. Some of you might remember the very first generation of Mega Lite introduced during the 80's--a quality reel that boasted an under-spool cork drag akin to the Ahab, albeit its weight compared to today's reels was anything but Lite.. ;)

Over the years Fin-Nor made changes to the series, some for better and others not so much (slipping magnetic A/R); but for me it is the original version that performs the best overall, until today:

Meet the new Megalite 80. Checking in at just over 25 oz. with a full (300 plus yds.) spool of 20 lb. mono, this is one light reel!

Here is the schematic:

And here is the parts list. Unlike original series, 2016 Megalites are only available in the larger 40, 60, and 80 sizes:

Lets start by turning the handle clockwise thereby unscrewing it from the main gear. Next, remove the retaining screw and lock-nut for the rotor, then gently lift it up off the frame an inch or so. Loosen and remove the four side plate screws. Now you have access to the two screws that secure the main shaft to the oscillation block. With those removed, the main shaft can be slid out of the pinion from above, allowing complete removal of the rotor:

Oscillation block and gear—a typical setup in line with the cost of the reel:

Schematic shows a screw holding down the oscillation gear, but in reality it sits on a brass bushing that fits over a stud in the frame:

The backside of my oscillation block has a small casting defect. Nothing serious--par for the course actually--given that the Mega Lite is now Fin-Nor's entry level reel ($50-$70):

Though made of graphite, the frame and rotor are quite rigid. On the 80 size this is further enhanced by use of a metal side plate:

Remove the 3 screws holding down the pinion bearing retainer:

And the pinion gear slides right out:

A closer look. Ball bearing-supported at top and bottom—again, typical:

To be continued...

johndtuttle

Looks like a solid reel so far! Keep going :).

cbar45

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 16, 2016, 10:01:36 PM
Looks like a solid reel so far! Keep going :).

I am having some trouble uploading the photos today.  

Not sure what's going on, since it (photobucket) was working fine only just last night?

Hopefully it starts up again, otherwise I guess it's time to look for another site.

Douglas Adams

Good job and thanks. Looking for a nice light weight, light-medium duty saltwater 40-50. Hope you find time to finish, would really like to get your overall opinion, can't find much info on it and not familiar with the model.