DIY Lead Lifter

Started by hrogers, November 10, 2015, 11:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrogers

Here is a method that can be used when fishing from the rocks - lots of time the lead get stuck between the rocks. The lead lifter will help to bring the lead up and you might have a chance to save your sinker.

Any ordinary plastic cards can work like old bank cards, etc.

Need the following : Plastic card
                            Small tie straps
                            Hollow tube - inner tube of a empty pen will work just as good
                            Scissor to cut the card
                            sharp object to punch small holes into the plastic card for the tie straps
Swivels, strong line and a clip to attach to the lead lifter

Here is the end results.

hrogers

Here is a photo where I test the lead lifter

Dominick

Hi Henry.  Remember there are no dumb questions, but I'll try.  Nice job but how does it work?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I used something similar when I fished fresh water. They called it a knocker or a lure retriever.
Mine had a cork screw and some chains attached to it.
You put it on your line and let it down. It was quite heavy and would knock it loose or if it was stubborn, the chains would grab the hooks. It had some heavy line on it to break free whatever you were stuck to.
Worked like a charm.
I'm sure I still have it tucked away somewhere.
Life is Good!

Steve-O

Quote from: Dominick on November 11, 2015, 12:32:03 AM
Hi Henry.  Remember there are no dumb questions, but I'll try.  Nice job but how does it work?  Dominick

I'm in line right behind you, Dominick. ;D

The big heavy corkscrew type, i'm familiar with....this one....kinda Star Destroyer looking, IMO. :o

The idea fits into my tiny brain...clip it on the line...it slides down and dislodges your sinker.

How light weight credit card plastic does that?   .....duuuuhhhh.....  ???

hrogers

It work similar as a kite. You can test it and see how it's working
This is how the lead lifter look like that is on the market

Steve-O

Okay, Dominick, here's our answer. The credit card or other plastic wings thing is a plane. Like a planer board.

When you start reeling in ...the wings lift the lead by planing them up above the nasty old sinker grabbing rocks.

So you retrieve your sinker through the water column instead of dragging along the bottom...wedging it amongst said rocks and losing the sinker.

Alto Mare

Nice work hrogers, thanks for showing us how its done.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jeri

Hi All,

A slight variation that we use this side of the pond, is to just use the shaped card, punch two small holes top and bottom along the centre line, and pass the leader line through those. The tie on sinker, and sldie down into position - works a treat, and saves many sinkers. Slightly more simple and less complex to build, but does the same job.

We sell them in the shop, and trying to convince people that they work is difficult, because you can't prove how many sinkers you have saved.

Did a lot of messing around with these 'wings' behind sinkers to assess how they might improve flight performance of the sinkers, and potential for distance gained - it was not totally inconclusive, but needs more work.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

LTM

Jeri and hrogers,

How well would this work for lead-head with hook that are used with the plastic swim baits? I like to fish the marina's with ultra light line (6/8#) and I fish on or right above the bottom of "rock infested" areas where I get caught up alot. I was wondering if this might help get back some of my tackle.

Thanx,

Leo

Jeri

Hi Leo,

Basically they are used from a static 'bait and wait' situation. We ue them a lot for when we are casting beyond a reef, and want the sinker and hook to come baack high over the reef.

That said, there is no reason why a small version could not be threaded onto the leader above a jighead, and help keep the jighead above the rocks. You would have to xperiment with size and position up the leader, and make soke kind of stop system, to prevent it sliding down. Then there is also the factor of whether the fish would be put off by a miniture 'kite' above the lure???

Perhaps something to 'play with' on a  quiet day. I've seen lip systems that are built onto flies, to give action and lift - no reason why you can't get a lift system to work on an appropriately modified jighead. May be something built with transparent sheet and appropriately shaped.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

hrogers

How well would this work for lead-head with hook that are used with the plastic swim baits? I like to fish the marina's with ultra light line (6/8#) and I fish on or right above the bottom of "rock infested" areas where I get caught up a lot. I was wondering if this might help get back some of my tackle.

Thanx,

Best to see if it will work is to make one and try it out, Maybe you can make the diameter of the lead lifter smaller, Like the one that was on the last photo, those are available on the market. Not sure what the price range is. let me see if I can google it up ......  = from http://www.fishingmegastore.com
Breakaway Lead Lifts (Universal)
Only: £1.50 (Including: VAT at 20%)

But to make one is not that difficult and it will save you money.
Hope this will work out for you

Henry

In stock