Shimano TYR16II or TYR20II

Started by spes, January 21, 2011, 01:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spes

Hello,
I am about to purchase a Shimano TYR II
I was hoping  to get some imput on choosing between the TYR16II or TYR20II
I primarily ground fish in MA,, I usually get at least one 2-day offshore trip in a year. Many times in 300' of water swinging a 12-18 oz. jig.
I usually use 65 lb power pro with a 50 lb leader. I'm also looking for a reel that can handle Tuna if I get the chance to try that.
Q: The 16II is "topless" the 20II is Reduced Profile Top Crossbar
What are the advantages of topless?

I am leaning towards the 20II for the 2.5:1 low gear over the 2.0:1

Input appreciated,
Thanks,
Spes

spes

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: spes on January 21, 2011, 01:27:55 AM
Hello,
I am about to purchase a Shimano TYR II
I was hoping  to get some imput on choosing between the TYR16II or TYR20II
I primarily ground fish in MA,, I usually get at least one 2-day offshore trip in a year. Many times in 300' of water swinging a 12-18 oz. jig.
I usually use 65 lb power pro with a 50 lb leader. I'm also looking for a reel that can handle Tuna if I get the chance to try that.
Q: The 16II is "topless" the 20II is Reduced Profile Top Crossbar
What are the advantages of topless?

I am leaning towards the 20II for the 2.5:1 low gear over the 2.0:1

Input appreciated,
Thanks,
Spes

Spes,
Topless reels make it easier to pick out and untangle "professional overruns" and give you more room to thumb the spool. I prefer heavier duty reels with 2.5:1 to 3.25:1 gears. Sorry I can't help you out more, but I'm not well-informed on Shimano; I'm a Penn-Newell-Daiwa kind of guy.
I bet you'll get more responses after the weekend. Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

If you may be tossing a jig, I wold probably choose the TYR16 because of the weight.

The TYR16 is a wide TYR12.  The TYR20 is a narrow TYR30.  Personally, I like narrow spooled reels because it seems more balanced to me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D