Help gearing up for SoCal trolling and Jigging

Started by Mudman, November 16, 2015, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudman

Hello All,

I was hoping to get some assistance with gear selection- mainly rods.

I've been on 2 sport boats this year, out of 22nd street landing in San Pedro. These two trips were my first real experiences on the ocean- and I had a blast! Most of my fishing experience is limited to Freshwater Bass via swimbaits and some shore fishing saltwater. The setups I've used on the last two sportboat trips are swimbait rods, one teamed up with a Lexa 300 and 30# braid, the other a Daiwa Saltist BG35H using 50# braid. Learned a lot on the trips.

Afterwards, it made me want to gear up for the salt without having to use my freshwater setups- excluding the Saltist.

An Okuma Andros 5II is on the way for yoyo/livebait/dropper, and I planned to pickup a Penn U.S. Senator as well for trolling.

My budget is on the lower side, as I'm still deciding whether not I want to pursue saltwater fishing more, then upgrade my gear after more experience.

The Okuma Makira rods are what I am considering due to the price point and bang for the buck. Of course I'd love Calstar, Phenix, or United Composites rod(s), but they are out of my budget for now. Especially if I'm not 100% committed to it yet. There is a Charkbait and Performance Tackle nearby that I would likely purchase most of the gear from.

C801XH with the Saltist 35H as a 30# rig
C801XXH with the Andros 5II as a 40# rig
TR601XH or TR601XXH with the Senator U.S. 113N as a troller using 80# braid and 60# mono/flouro

Would these rods and or reels be suitable for 1-1.5 day trips?

Down the road I would also like to add an Okuma Makaira sea to the lineup for trolling.

Any tips and or suggestions would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mud

MarkT

Sounds good. Don't leave the Lexa 300 at home. I've caught lots of the 3B's on mine plus a bunch of YT too. I have 50# spectra on mine and go with a 30-40# leader. Works great for swim baits and Megabaits.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Mudman

Quote from: MarkT on November 16, 2015, 05:25:30 AM
Sounds good. Don't leave the Lexa 300 at home. I've caught lots of the 3B's on mine plus a bunch of YT too. I have 50# spectra on mine and go with a 30-40# leader. Works great for swim baits and Megabaits.
I plan to service the 300 and save her for freshwater again. Although if I get too frustrated with conventionals, a Lexa 400HD may find it's way to me after Christmas.  ;D

Mudman

Thinking a trolling setup may be unnecessary now, but also thinking a heavier general setup with the Senator will be good also. Any thoughts?

conchydong

Don't be discouraged buying second hand rods and reels especially from California. Although I live in Florida, I found that for the most part California anglers are more meticulous about their gear and maintain it very well. Many California anglers also are always upgrading to the latest and greatest so a Seeker Black steel or a older Calstar can be had at a reasonable price. Look in the classifieds of the many CA forums for deals.

Mudman

Quote from: conchydong on November 19, 2015, 12:51:08 AM
Don't be discouraged buying second hand rods and reels especially from California. Although I live in Florida, I found that for the most part California anglers are more meticulous about their gear and maintain it very well. Many California anglers also are always upgrading to the latest and greatest so a Seeker Black steel or a older Calstar can be had at a reasonable price. Look in the classifieds of the many CA forums for deals.
This is true, I will keep an eye out. Thank you

LTM

Quote from: conchydong on November 19, 2015, 12:51:08 AM
CD you took the words right out of my mouth. I was thinking of tackle store's, the "real" tackle stores have some good used rods for sale or on consignment (reels also).
BTW, I'm a light line fisherman and you can use some of your bass gear for salt (ie 12#, 15#, 20#). I have great fun with my 8-9 foot rods with 12-20# test. My favorite jig stick for 25/30# is a 9 foot Calstar  hybrid (most of my rods are Calstar). Ive sold "excellent" condition Calstar rods of mine to tackle shops when upgrading rods.

Leo

SoCalAngler

Sorry I did not see this post until now, so I know I'm a bit late.

First, several people I know bought a 5II as a 40 lb test reel and have changed them out to something else. Sure, Okuma states they have enough drag for 40 lb test but that's only half the battle. Now you have to get the fish to the boat, being a two speed is nice but IMO they don't have the cranking power that other 40 lb test reels offer. Most people I know now fish them with 30 lb test and with 30 I really don't see a need for a two speed reel unless you may have some physical/health issues such as a bad back, arm, wrist or something else.

Second a 8' rod for live bait, yoyo iron and dropper loop would not be my first choice with 40 lb test. Something in the 6.5' to 7' range would suit most people better. 8' rods and over for 40 lb test are most often used to fish surface iron where the added length helps with casting distance. This is really not needed with bait, yoyo and dropper loop fishing.

Third if you do go with the Okuma rods make sure you wash them down as soon as you can when you get home. I have seen several of their rods with corrosion issues. I'm not sure if it was from the people that owned them not taking care of them or what but be aware.

Very rarely on 1 and 1.5 day trips do I ever fish 40 lb test here in So Cal. Sure there is a chance when the larger model of BFT come around when you might need 40 or even higher test but this is a rare case indeed. I will often bring a 40 lb setup then there is a chance that the larger model fish will be on the chew, but with my luck I have not needed to break it out in several years. The yellows and other fish can all be had on 30 lb test even fish pushing 40 plus lbs without much problems.

Now if you start to do trips over 3 days a 40 lb setup will be fished most often.

On 1-1.5 day trips I mainly fish 20, 25 and sometimes 30 for dropper loop and yoyo iron.

If your not sure this type of fishing is for you I'd skip the trolling setup and use the boats rigs for this. Just my opinion.

stoked4fishin

How do people feel about the Phenix Abyss PSW-809 for YT surface iron?  Planning to use a Daiwa Lexa 400, Shimano Torium 16, or Shimano 15/30S.  50# spectra straight tie.