School me on Virg's 1/2 day trip etiquette

Started by pjstevko, November 17, 2015, 04:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I booked 2 trips with Virgs for mid December and seeing as how its my first ever west coast sportfishing trip for species I'm not used to catching I'm looking for some tricks and tips on proper etiquette....I don't want to be "THAT" guy  ;) ;) ;) ;)

I plan on using yo-yo/vertical jigs only, no bait. My rigs are a Penn 500 with mono and a spinner with 65# powerpro.

I know not to bring a zillion set-ups, take up too much under-bench space, watch my language, give fish away if all ready limited out, and to tip the crew.

Where should I position my self on the boat to properly work my jigs?
Do I cast updrift and work the jig back to me as the boat drifts towards the jig?

Please help me make the most out of my first trips and be a considerate fisherman.

Thanks

PJ

(The dates I'm going are Dec 15 and Dec 16...if anyone else is going I'd like to get to meet you)

David Hall

Sounds like you have the right gear although I wouldnt rule out bait, tipping your jigs with a squid strip or whole squid will improve your strike to cast ratio. 
As for where and how to position yourself it only changes by where you are able to belly up to the rail.  some people are territorial and will claim spots, fish will be caught all around from side to side and stern to bow, I do not beleive there is a "best spot" and I like to take my time, enjoy the day and fish from wherever i find a open spot with room to fish, if your up drift you can drop straight down and work your jig until it gets to around 45 degrees uphill and retrieve, if your on the drift side cast out and jig as the boat drifts over and retrieve before the hull crosses your line.  Both positions work equally well.  I have only fished once with VIrgs and had a great trip, lots of fish and good people.
have a great time and dont forget to post pics when you get back so we can enjoy your trip with you! 

SoCalAngler

Quote from: pjstevko on November 17, 2015, 04:14:10 PM

Where should I position my self on the boat to properly work my jigs?
Do I cast updrift and work the jig back to me as the boat drifts towards the jig?

(The dates I'm going are Dec 15 and Dec 16...if anyone else is going I'd like to get to meet you)

There is a old saying, "wind in your face your in the right place". This way your line will not end up going under the boat and tangle others.

Big Tim

Observe the corners or bow and if you see a few fisherman that are working together and moving without tangling go there and follow their lead. Virg's for the most part doesn't allow overhead casting unless you show you are in total control and safe. I might be able to go on one of those days and would be a pleasure to meet you.

BT

Sluggo

pjstevko

Big Tim....thanks for that advice...

Tuesday I'll be fishing by myself and Wednesday my wife will be with me (double limits at a discounted price for ladies day  ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Hope you can make it

johndtuttle

Not Virg's specific but very generally you will find that the captain has a preference for which side of the boat he positions up wind to start a drift. In my experience, that is usually the starboard side as that is his side when at the wheel. Regardless, upwind is the side you want to be on so that your lines don't drift under the boat. This is particularly true as often newbies fishing the downwind side are using mono which streams all the way under the boat and tangles people on the far side if the drift is fast enough. Your best chance to avoid them is being on the up wind side. Dress warm as you will be more exposed.

Give an under hand flip away from the boat, further up wind, and let your rig sink out. Do not worry about the angle unless you can't get down (ie not enough weight for your line thickness) to where the fish are holding. Because with a little angle away from the boat you are that less likely to tangle with others which gets expensive and annoying.

Targeting quality rockfish you cannot do better than squid tipped glow in the dark hoochies simply given action from the drift and swell. I prefer circle hooks as discussed previously. Here you are fishing 2 hooks and the circles make landing 2 fish a drop a breeze. The fish will hook themselves and with circles you have to do a minimum of checking to see if you are still baited up (you dont miss fish and pull your bait off) and they are less likely to snag on the bottom. This perfectly imitates small octopus/squid drifting in the current.

For targeting Lings, a single jig or swimbait tipped with squid is the way to go (+/- teaser). This way you can set the hook on any heavy bite and if you miss, keep fishing as the jig/swimbait is providing the majority of attraction. Again, a little up and down with the rod is fine but you don't need a rapid action to get bit. These are cold water fish and are not super active.

1. Mid December I would take anti-sea sickness precautions. It might be VERY rough (like nothing leaves the harbor) or flat.

2. Dress warm and in layers. There is no such thing as too warm for a trip like this as you will be over 50 degree water with wind, which with wind chill and high humidity lowers it to near freezing effectively. So if you were going to stand around for 6 hours in freezing weather dress like that but strip layers as needed.

3. No food or drink may be available so bring your own.

4. Don't overthink it. Beginners catch just as big as "pros". Another reason I love circles. It prevents you from "over fishing/thinking" and lets the big ones latch on but you don't waste time setting the hook on little bait peckers. Usually beginners do very well as they don't know enough to set the hook when little ones are down there and need a big one to make it obvious for them to raise the rod.

other than that just be kind and considerate. Occasionally "that guy" goes on one of these trips but if the fishing is slow all the more reason to take your time. This is not tuna fishing where one stop will make the day and you have to be quick. Rockfish don't move around much and you will park over clouds of them. If they are biting everyone will be catching so just put out the good vibes and let it happen.

alantani

i am working both days.  if this puerto vallarta trip does not work out, i will see if i can switch my days around and come down.  you already have a place to stay?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pjstevko

Alan,

I'd love to get to meet you if your plans change. I'm glad people are showing an interest in going...

This is a early Christmas gift from my wife so she set it all up and booked us at a hotel just up the street from Virg's office so she doesn't have to wake up extra early to drop me off.

This will be my first California fishing trip so I'm very excited to add a few new species to my "life list"!!!!

Bryan Young

Sad, I'm working too.

If you are fishing with mono, I highly recommend circle hooks even on jigs.  the mono stretches so much that by the time you feel the bit, the fish is usually gone.  If you are fishing with braid, then I usually fish with J-hooks because braid does not stretch like mono and you can feel the bite almost instantaneously.

If you are going straight up and down I would recommend jigs in the 12 - 16 oz weights so it's straight up and down.  If you can underhand toss your jigs, then I have fished as light as 4-6 oz but more 8 oz in the depts. they are fishing.

I have come close to winning the jack pot in the past but have always been beaten by Alan Tani with his basic shrimp flies with a whole squid.  Simple and effective...Kind of makes me to not fish with jigs...nah, I like the bling bling.   ;D

Good luck and stay safe.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pjstevko

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 23, 2015, 03:09:38 PM
Sad, I'm working too.

If you are fishing with mono, I highly recommend circle hooks even on jigs.  the mono stretches so much that by the time you feel the bit, the fish is usually gone.  If you are fishing with braid, then I usually fish with J-hooks because braid does not stretch like mono and you can feel the bite almost instantaneously.

If you are going straight up and down I would recommend jigs in the 12 - 16 oz weights so it's straight up and down.  If you can underhand toss your jigs, then I have fished as light as 4-6 oz but more 8 oz in the depts. they are fishing.

I have come close to winning the jack pot in the past but have always been beaten by Alan Tani with his basic shrimp flies with a whole squid.  Simple and effective...Kind of makes me to not fish with jigs...nah, I like the bling bling.   ;D
Good luck and stay safe.

Thanks for the advice!!!!

I'm with ya on fishing arti's only.....I hate dealing with bait!!!!