Changing a Mak 30 drag cam

Started by Abot, November 21, 2015, 11:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abot

I have just bought a Makaira 30 that has the Tournament drag cam, I want to do it myself, has anyone done one before, and if so was it difficult, and any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mick

sundaytrucka

This should be a smooth process.  The drag cam is located within the drag preset knob, connected to the base of the drag adjustment lever, it also secures the drag lever to the reel.  

It is part #600 on the reels schematics.

Simply turn the adjustment knob counter clockwise to remove it, and clockwise to return it to position, and set drag.

I like to add a little layer of Corrosion-X HD to the threads within the drag cam knob, and a light layer of any good grease you prefer, I use Cal's drag grease, on the face of the drag cam....screw back on to the spool shaft and tighten down the knob until the setting is within specs for that reels drag capabilities.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Abot on November 21, 2015, 11:34:26 PM
I have just bought a Makaira 30 that has the Tournament drag cam, I want to do it myself, has anyone done one before, and if so was it difficult, and any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mick

Well if you have TDC in the reel what are you changing? The cam should already be installed if you bought a reel with it.

Abot

Quote from: sundaytrucka on November 22, 2015, 05:16:40 AM
This should be a smooth process.  The drag cam is located within the drag preset knob, connected to the base of the drag adjustment lever, it also secures the drag lever to the reel.  

It is part #600 on the reels schematics.

Simply turn the adjustment knob counter clockwise to remove it, and clockwise to return it to position, and set drag.

I like to add a little layer of Corrosion-X HD to the threads within the drag cam knob, and a light layer of any good grease you prefer, I use Cal's drag grease, on the face of the drag cam....screw back on to the spool shaft and tighten down the knob until the setting is within specs for that reels drag capabilities.

-Scott
Thank you very much for the info

sundaytrucka

No problem!

I should have added before, the lever should be in the free position, all the way back to "0", before removing or installing the drag cam knob and when adjusting drag presets.

Feel free to post and ask any more questions.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.