help me pick a reel for Dad (christmas)

Started by Sharkin904, December 09, 2015, 06:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

Well, as the title says, I can't make up my mind. My Dad and I are both big fans of Penn reels, can't beat the value imo...I'd like to add one to his arsenal for Christmas. He'll use it mostly for big bull reds/Black drum. I've been leaning towards a jigmaster or a 309 maybe. Whatever I decide on I'll do carbon drags, clean and grease it, and a power handle. Likely 30lb line, maybe braid..I figure most of you have fished just about every one of these old reels haha, might give some insight. Thanks!

foakes

Hard to beat a Jigmaster -- set up right.

Also consider the 112H & 113H Senators.

Would upgrade the drag stack with CFs and Cal's -- Delrin under gear washer, SS sleeve, power handle, and an Accurate or Tib half frame, aluminum spool for braid.

Or just go with the upgraded drags, at a minimum.

If you decide on one of these reels, try and get one with the one piece aluminum spool already there -- that would save a few bucks.  And if it has the aluminum spool, it also likely has the SS drag discs.

Issues can arise when using a power handle with a standard brass sleeve, and standard stand and posts -- such as rounding of the top of the sleeve where the handle atraches -- or tweaking the frame.  The PH puts a lot of extra torque and expectation on the mechanics of the reel.

Let us know what you decide on.

Great Christmas gift for Dad.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Sharkin904 on December 09, 2015, 06:24:40 PM
Well, as the title says, I can't make up my mind. My Dad and I are both big fans of Penn reels, can't beat the value imo...I'd like to add one to his arsenal for Christmas. He'll use it mostly for big bull reds/Black drum. I've been leaning towards a jigmaster or a 309 maybe. Whatever I decide on I'll do carbon drags, clean and grease it, and a power handle. Likely 30lb line, maybe braid..I figure most of you have fished just about every one of these old reels haha, might give some insight. Thanks!

Don't mean to put the cart before the horse here, but...

You may want to consider the reels, and parts I have available right now?  I can mix and match parts/reels if your intetested in either of the 2 Jigmasters.  

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15729.0

or check with Randy for a different set of accurate Jigmaster options.

If you are leaning towards a Penn Levelwind, I would take a look at the Fathom Levelwinds, or GT2 Levelwinds over the older 209, etc..
I mag nonlevelwind reel might also be a good option.  

Personally, I prefer nonlevelwind reels for most saltwater applications, though I do fish a 965 for shallow water stuff (RedFish), and as a Akule/bait setup.

Diawa has some good lowprofile levelwind options as well.

Lots of options out there.  May want to just do some online research first, including checking out many of the service tutorials available here (if you havn't already done so).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

I agree with Fred on his first cimment, the jigmaster well equipped  is hard to beat.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Sharkin904

Bryan Young

If new, then you have no choice except for Chinese made unless you can find a NOS reel. 

If used will be fine, I would recommend John's jigmaster with accurate frame and sideplates (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15729.0).  That's a pretty good deal for all aluminum, and would be a good option if you plan to fish with Braid
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Sharkin904

Tightlines, I'll have to get with you in about a week. Going on Vacation saturday (vegas) so trying to scrounge all money for that lol, but we may have to work something out, either parts or a whole reel. Thanks guys!

Oceanreels

What are we fishing for? How big? Lot of fight? How deep?
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Porthos

Sounds like you've settled on a Jigmaster. If you were still flexible, then I'd suggest a Daiwa 50H. Why?

• Approximately the same capacity and dimensions of a 500;
  • Full aluminum frame, plates, and spool;
  • Slightly faster 4.2:1 gear ratio;[ and
  • Can be fished up to 50lb test with HT-100's upgrade.

If you live in SoCal (Orange Co. in this case), you could score a factory unit for $30:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/5351488229.html

Adding new HT-100's and an Alan Tani 3/0 handle is another $40:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18.0

$70 total...slightly more than the price of a Tiburon P20 for the Jigmaster.

Sure, it's break from the traditional Penn but thinking outside the box can have its benefits too.

handi2

I have a Jigmaster 500 that's sitting on the shelf doing nothing. It has everything available in it and on it. Red Tiburon frame.

It was built with all NOS parts and new parts. The side plates and rings are NOS without a scratch.

The only thing not absolutely new is the black aluminum spool.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL