2nd Generation 113HX 4:1 SS Gear Set

Started by Black Pearl, December 10, 2015, 03:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badfish71

Alto Mare

Quote from: badfish71 on December 15, 2015, 08:06:47 PM
any plans to make it a 7 stack ?
These do better than a 7 stack, with 5 washers you'll get 9 working surfaces.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Sal, with a 7-stack won't there be 13 working surfaces, or am I missing something? I'm going to have to sit down and draw the two out and figure out which surfaces are the working surfaces - I figure there's a maximum of 2/CF drag washer, but somehow you're coming up with one less working surface; I need to figure out which one that is. Can you please explain? Thanks. Maybe I don't understand the star drag mechanism as well as I thought. I'm all ears and here to learn.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Yes, but it would be way too much that reel. We like to keep the carbon fiber eared washers 1mm in thickness, or more.
Using 1mm carbon fiber washers  would limit it to 5, 7 won't fit ...and that's a good thing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

OK, thanks, that helps, but which of the surfaces is not a working surface? Is it the uppermost one in contact with the slotted washer?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

The first carbon fiber washer at the bottom gives  one working surface, the rest of the carbon fiber washers  have two.

badfish71

Thats right. I forgot about the varying thickness for the washers.
Quote from: Alto Mare on December 15, 2015, 11:09:11 PM
Yes, but it would be way too much that reel. We like to keep the carbon fiber eared washers 1mm in thickness, or more.
Using 1mm carbon fiber washers  would limit it to 5, 7 won't fit ...and that's a good thing.

Black Pearl

I am checking on the key and spring washers price's difference between stainless steel and titanium.

Black Pearl

Here is a picture on this 113HX gear set. It is heading to Sal for testing.

Tightlines667

Sweet!

That looks like a strong set.

Wish I needed one.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Black Pearl

Here is the testing result from Sal on this 113HX 4:1 "Easy Access" stainless steel gear set. This gear set was pushed to around 55# drag under stress tested by Sal.

Here are few pictures in gear set with the SS double dogged bridge.

Ron Jones

55#s on a 113H, wow.
I think I'll run this in my marlin special and fill it with unlimited braid. I guess I could use it for Godzilla?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

Black Pearl

Quote from: David Hall on February 07, 2016, 12:37:55 AM
Where's the sign up sheet?

I don't think we will need one. I will have enough.

Keta

Wow!  I get sick and busy and don't keep up with things for a few months and look at what you come up with!   I have a 90% complete "Tank" I was building for this years halibut season that must have one of these gear sets.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain