2nd Generation 113HX 4:1 SS Gear Set

Started by Black Pearl, December 10, 2015, 03:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 03, 2016, 01:34:42 PM
Quote from: steelfish on December 02, 2016, 02:02:20 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on December 13, 2015, 02:50:24 PM

Don't base my numbers at where it should be fished at, those are testing numbers only.
I could tell you this, we will have the (500) as a 20lb reel, the ( 113h) as a 30lb reel  and the( 114H ) as a 35lb reel.
Sal

Sal,

what would be a better reel for 80# braid for groupers?
a tanked up 113h with this new gears and all SS parts of course or a stock 114h reel?

Alex, it has to do with how tough you are. If you're like a couple of wimpy guys on here that can only use a two speed, forget about those ( just kidding )  ;D.
I have fished for grouper in Florida, but non of the Goliath Grouper that everyone talks about, those are scary.
Talking to some friends, they would be more comfortable with a larger reel as the 114h, some actually like the black slower 114.
if I would ever give it a shot, I would definitely try the Tank loaded with everything we have available.
I would probably bring two though, one with 4:1 ProChallenger's gears and one with stock steel 3.25:1 gear and Adam's inserts ...just in case.
Both might fail on those monsters, but i wouldn't mind.
Sal

I with you, I would like to try a 113h with SS guts, mine is still on process to be a Tank, but already have SS 4:1 gears, Lee inserts, tib wide frame, Toms plates, pending SS sleeve, when I got the money I will get this 2nd gen Alan Gear

this next fish was caught 2 days ago by my friend that runs a panga charter, its a Baya (gulf grouper), the reel used was a stock 114h, he dont know if it was the same fish or a different but it took 3 times to get it on the boat, the fish broke the line 3 times before came to the boat

not bad for a stock 114h, my other idea is to get a 114h and make it narrow and get a SS sleeve and gear insert and make it the grouper reel, but still continue to load the 113h with all the SS goods to have both ready for heavy action.

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

WOW!!! What a fish! Those do scare me a little, they could swallow you hole in one gulp ::)
http://brobible.com/guyism/article/goliath-grouper-swallows-shark/
Strap yourself to the boat if you decide to go buddy :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Oh Yeah!
A Stock 114H getting it done.
Check it out Jeff.
Pure Penn Muscle.
Life is Good!

Eddie K

I have a question about the 113HX gear set.  Does this gear set work in Penn 113H that DO NOT have easy access to the drag washers? 

My intended drag setting will about 18 pounds for a consistently silky smooth drag. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: Eddie K on December 04, 2016, 06:10:30 AM
I have a question about the 113HX gear set.  Does this gear set work in Penn 113H that DO NOT have easy access to the drag washers? 

My intended drag setting will about 18 pounds for a consistently silky smooth drag. 
Hello Eddie, yes this set will work in the Penn 113H without the easy access drag system.

If you look at the first pic, you will notice (5) carbon fiber washers, (5) keyed metal washers and (1) thick washer.
The best combination from my personal tests is by removing the last keyed metal washers from the (5) and just place the (1) thick metal keyed washer on top.
You will follow with the 8-349 and the 9-113h. Those do not come with the kit, but should be on your reel.

As for consistant silky smooth drag, I get that over 30 pounds. That is by me pulling on the reel while the line is tied to a post.

Both plates, easy access and standard work nicely and give out the same numbers,  somehow the standard plate feels a little better, but it might just be me.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Yeah. I hadda 113H w/ external drag access plate, anna big crack which chipped off. Bought the new one from Scotts( not the easy access style) installed a d.d., s.s. bridgeplate, HX gear set anna s.s. Gear sleeve, no problems. Really liked that "top hat" washer though. Now I gotta maroon L side plate w/ a red R side one. Tip, needa s.s. Yoke, I tried ta keep my old brass one an it got chewed on somethin fierce by the s.s. pinion.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

My favorite combo is the top hat SS gear sleeve. No sise to side play of the gear sleeve is important to my evaluation of smoothness, and the top hats seem to fit tighter in the plates than the sleeve alone. Almost as if the top hat acts as a bushing. A bushing there would be a great idea actually.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on December 04, 2016, 10:17:02 PM
My favorite combo is the top hat SS gear sleeve. No sise to side play of the gear sleeve is important to my evaluation of smoothness, and the top hats seem to fit tighter in the plates than the sleeve alone. Almost as if the top hat acts as a bushing. A bushing there would be a great idea actually.
Ron
Ron, we talked about this 4 years ago, John Tutle came up with a great idea
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.msg44188#msg44188
I've also tried these with good results, the correct size is not available, so a little modification is needed
https://www.mcmaster.com/#1688K15

I tried to get Alan to make us some custom sleeves, but he said it wasn't worth it, he is not making anything on the custom spacers for the jigmaster.
I'll ask again, maybe if he increases the cost to a dollar or two he could get them done. :-\

Ron Jones

I was thinking that exactly, Sal. I don't have any plates without a top hat right now, but definately something I want to try.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Eddie K

Thank you Sal.  My concern was the height of the gear.  Maybe in the future if I decide to get a Tiburon frame, I'll be able to utilize the full potential of the drag.  However, for now, I'll be using the drag set at 18 lbs. 

Once again, I say thank you.   :)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Eddie K on December 05, 2016, 08:43:30 AM
Thank you Sal.  My concern was the height of the gear.  Maybe in the future if I decide to get a Tiburon frame, I'll be able to utilize the full potential of the drag.  However, for now, I'll be using the drag set at 18 lbs. 

Once again, I say thank you.   :)
That was a good concern Eddie.
As you already know, you could make adjustments with this kit as you wish:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6517.msg56201#msg56201

Sal
Quote from: noyb72 on December 05, 2016, 03:15:08 AM
I was thinking that exactly, Sal. I don't have any plates without a top hat right now, but definately something I want to try.
Ron

Ron, I just remembered that I had a pic of that bearing that I've mentioned  earlier, scroll down to the tourth and fifth pic:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9746.msg90472#msg90472

I had a lot going on at one time around here...easy to forget :) .

Sal

Tightlines667

Quote from: noyb72 on December 05, 2016, 03:15:08 AM
Ron

Ron, I just remembered that I had a pic of that bearing that I've mentioned  earlier, scroll down to the tourth and fifth pic:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9746.msg90472#msg90472

I had a lot going on at one time around here...easy to forget :) .

Sal
[/quote]

Good stuff here!  It would be great to have a kit available that incoorporats these features.  Has anyone seriously considered this?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Not sure about the AR on top John but I would like a tighter sleeve as mentioned above.
I spoke to Alan last evening and he said he will give it a shot for us.
By the way, the custom sleeve for the stock plates would not work on the Accurate plates, or Tom's plates ( same plates )

Stock sleeve is close, but would be nice to get closer

We'll see if Alan could make both sizes for us.

Sal

handi2

A tighter sleeve is almost a must have when you really put the power to these reels. Ive seen mine loosen up after a couple of months. Forcefully moving the handle side to side there will be excessive movement.

Ive built 4/0's for 3 people that use them for Grouper and they catch a bunch. Mostly in the 20 to 25 lb. range.

They use 200lb braided line and 300 to 400 lb leader. They told me the lighter braid just didn't havbe enough abrasion resistance.

They are still using Bryans 7 stack with Alan C's SS gears and gear sleeve. Its been almost 3 years now without a problem with any component in the reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on December 06, 2016, 01:39:36 AM

Ive built 4/0's for 3 people that use them for Grouper and they catch a bunch. Mostly in the 20 to 25 lb. range.

They use 200lb braided line and 300 to 400 lb leader. They told me the lighter braid just didn't havbe enough abrasion resistance.

cool, thanks for the input

do you know how many 200lb braid could fit on a 4/0?   200yds?
The Baja Guy