Sturgeon Bait Question

Started by Bill B, December 11, 2015, 05:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Salmon season in the Sacramento delta is winding up...gonna make the change to sturgeon fishing.....I hear grass and ghost shrimp are the "go to bait" but expensive....has anyone tried raw shrimp (for human consumption) from the super market?  My local sometimes puts raw shrimp in the bargain basket, I wouldn't eat it, but is cheap enough for bait....what do you think.....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

whalebreath

IME the Best bait for Sturgeon is the freshest available and this time of year that means Roe or fresh Shrimp as mentioned not stink bait.

Of course everything will work sooner or later and I've proved that to my reluctant partner when I matched him bite for bite using a basically empty roe bag drenched in scent-any scent.

It takes a while for the scent to milk out-usually about 10 minutes in the Fraser River.

Dominick

I agree on fresh bait.  Go to the nearest Asian market and get fresh shrimp with heads and all.  Tie the bait on your hook with elastic thread or a small rubber band.  Let me know how you make out.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Todd Jacobsen

Tarfu- Fresh roe is working very well right now on the Sac. River

Tightlines667

And be nice to those ancient fish :) , especially the very very old females.  BTW, post release survivability studies on these guys suggest survivability is typically good (>80%) when caught on hook and line.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill B

Thanks for the advice....gonna give it a go this weekend.....I have a trench behind the trailer that's about 40' on th outside bend of the river.......stay tuned....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Todd Jacobsen

Good luck were going again tonight through Monday nt. Quite a few being caught.