Greasing trinidad gears

Started by JP1, December 20, 2015, 03:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP1

Hi All

I just did a service on my trinidad 16, I removed the old grease and applied some cals drag grease on the gears as they are near the drag washers. Trouble is when I turn the reel handle I can feel the gears meshing together and it feels slightly rough. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong but would like a smoother feel. What grease do you guys use for the gears and is the any technic in greasing the gears.

I also noticed the thread on the side plate screw has been damaged, anyone any thoughts on how to repair it? I had a look at the loctite form a thread. Never used it before but looks like it should work.

Merry Christmas.

JP1

Just been cleaning and greasing again to see if I can improve things, is it possible the rough feeling is coming from the ar bearing? I have another trinidad and that one is as smooth as butter.

handi2

It's highly possible that it's the bearings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: JP1 on December 20, 2015, 03:39:40 PM
Hi All

I just did a service on my trinidad 16, I removed the old grease and applied some cals drag grease on the gears as they are near the drag washers. Trouble is when I turn the reel handle I can feel the gears meshing together and it feels slightly rough. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong but would like a smoother feel. What grease do you guys use for the gears and is the any technic in greasing the gears.

I also noticed the thread on the side plate screw has been damaged, anyone any thoughts on how to repair it? I had a look at the loctite form a thread. Never used it before but looks like it should work.

Merry Christmas.

As above mystery grinding is usually a bad bearing or two.

Greasing the gears, Cal's is perfectly fine. Keep in mind that if they are meshing properly there is only a micro film left on the gears after one revolution so grease is unlikely to dampen much grinding. Just get a little on every tooth and then after that you are good to go. 99.9% gets squeezed out immediately.

So hard to diagnose over the web but if the reel was quiet before service then its possible the parts are out of order.

1. Double check the pinion and yoke orientation as well that the springs are right to seat the pinion properly.

2. Make sure that the whole main shaft assembly is right from the bearing underneath, the under gear washer and ratchet gear etc all the way out to the handle. If something is out of order the main may not be sitting just right.

3. Be sure the spool tension knob is set before deciding anything is out of wack.

4. Make sure the spool shaft is not bent.

just some thoughts on what to check.

best

JP1

Hi guys

Thanks for your thoughts, I will check it all again of Christmas. I didn't real notices anything was wrong until I got my other one out after the service. If I put the reel into fee spool I can still feel it so I can rule up spool bearings. I did swap over the side plates and the feeling went so I figure it must be arb or side plate bearing. Both look ok and feel ok when I cleaned them.

JP1

So I needed to get some spares for the trinidad 16n as I was missing the line clip and a washer that covers the side plate bearing. I thought I would replace the arb and sleeve and side plate bearing to get it back to silky smooth again. Troubles is the washer, line clip and sleeve are not available from Shimano uk any more. Can anyone recommend a supplier that will ship the parts to the uk.

thanks J

JP1

Hi guys
I still cannot get the reel to turn smoothly, I replaced all the bearing still rough. I swapped the pinion and crown over with my other reel, still didn't help. I have stripped the reel totally down greased and re assembled still not very smooth compared to my other trinidad. How do a check to see if the spool shaft is bent then? What else can I do?
Thanks

MarkT

Swap the right sideplate with one of your similar reels. If it still has a problem then it's probably the spool. I throw those line clips away on my reels. When throwing surface iron all day they wear a hole in my hand and they aren't good for anything.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

JP1

Well I think I have sorted it out now. I must have taken the reel apart at least 12 times now, I recon I could assembly it blindfolded now. I swapped every single piece over from the other reel until I got to the pinion gear. Then the problem went away. It is a bit embarrassing, it appears I had placed the yoke upside down which made the pinion gear mesh with the crown wheel badly. Well all sorted now still not as smooth as the other reel but not bad. Maybe one day if I can find a pinion I will swap it out for a new one.

johndtuttle

Quote from: JP1 on January 11, 2016, 10:21:00 PM
Well I think I have sorted it out now. I must have taken the reel apart at least 12 times now, I recon I could assembly it blindfolded now. I swapped every single piece over from the other reel until I got to the pinion gear. Then the problem went away. It is a bit embarrassing, it appears I had placed the yoke upside down which made the pinion gear mesh with the crown wheel badly. Well all sorted now still not as smooth as the other reel but not bad. Maybe one day if I can find a pinion I will swap it out for a new one.

Glad you got it sorted. Yoke orientation and putting the springs on wrong are very common mistakes that are hard to spot. You think you've done it right a million times!

Good thing you had others to compare to show you the proper orientation. Its hard to pick up in a photograph otherwise.  ;)

Thanks for updating us! These things nag in our heads too until they get figured out.  :D

Believe me I put yoke orientation in my list above of things to check because I've done it too!  8)

JP1

Thought I had it last night but this morning the grinding is back I think it is something to do with the pinion gear but not sure what. I think I well try swapping them over again and see if it goes away again. Do pinion gears wear out? They don't look much different maybe the gear edges are a little sharper at the gear.

johndtuttle

Quote from: JP1 on January 12, 2016, 07:57:23 PM
Thought I had it last night but this morning the grinding is back I think it is something to do with the pinion gear but not sure what. I think I well try swapping them over again and see if it goes away again. Do pinion gears wear out? They don't look much different maybe the gear edges are a little sharper at the gear.

Pinion gears do wear/get damaged and it may have gotten rough when the yoke was upside down. Do your best to be everything is right but unless it is truly bad/cannot be tolerated it may still be fishable.

If it was the yoke that caused it to get rough it may smooth out in time now that you have it on right.

JP1

Not sure what is going on, twice I thought I had fixed the problem but it has come back once I had put it back together. Tonight I made a discovery, the rubber/grinder noise occurs when I put the two screws in either side of the cast control knob. I made some small paper spacers and placed them under the side plate and screws. That seemed to improve things a lot. Not sure what the problem is may be some can shed some light.

johndtuttle

Quote from: JP1 on January 13, 2016, 11:17:12 PM
Not sure what is going on, twice I thought I had fixed the problem but it has come back once I had put it back together. Tonight I made a discovery, the rubber/grinder noise occurs when I put the two screws in either side of the cast control knob. I made some small paper spacers and placed them under the side plate and screws. That seemed to improve things a lot. Not sure what the problem is may be some can shed some light.

Those screws go through the side plate and thread into the posts that support the yoke springs. Investigate that area and see if something could be binding the yoke when they are cranked down all the way. One spring may be getting hung up and preventing the yoke from positioning properly.

handi2

First look at the yoke. It is beveled on one side for the jack to easily slide under it. It can only go this way.

When new that reel and many others had tiny shims (spacers) on top of the 2 posts that you are talking about. Some reels had none, some had up to 3, that I have seen.

Those shims may be missing.

It also could be as simple as the drag stack being to tall and rubbing on the inner side plate.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL