Okuma Andros 511 Tutorial

Started by ReelSpeed, January 29, 2011, 01:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madday

dear reelspeed,
do you think its possible to change the left side bearing to a thrust bearing in order to eliminate the binding problem?
thxuvm....  ;)

hafnor

Thank you for a beautiful tutorial reelspeed:)

wallacewt

i bought this reel off aaron(reelspeed)
back in jan; 2011
ive taken it on every trip ive been on since
the freespool has  just slowed today 3/2/2013
i havent had to touch a thing.tuna, samson fish etc; on 30lb braid
will be interesting when i open it up.cheers

Tiddlerbasher

I've been experimenting with the Andros 511. The main issue I had was the bearings binding with higher drag. So I decided to replace the left spool and pinion bearing with angular contact bearings. WOW now with 15lbs at strike and 24lbs at sunset there is virtually no binding. Full on, and in high gear, I attempted to measure any binding with a spring balance. The scales barely registered anything (.5 to 1lb). Free spool (with the new bearing) 90 secs so no impact there! From an engineering point of view the reel just feels better (less stressed maybe?).
The bearings (both the same) were from this company:

http://www.gmnbt.com/spindlebearings_S.htm
GMN Angular contact bearings S Series.

No.          Basic type                     Inner diam.        Outer diam.      Width    Speedvalue    Load        Load
                                                  d [mm]               D [mm]        b [mm]      with Oil     Dynamic    Static
208   S 619/6 C TA ABEC7 UL              6                      15                5          165000       1300        470

To finish off the project I glued a small neodimium magnet to the inside of the left side plate. The freespool was so good it needed some cast control!
I then changed the handle to one of my favourites, et voila:

wallacewt

hi tiddlerbasher.  sounds good.  any pics of your bearings.  did you do anything with the dogs.  i am going to spring load mine as soon as i have time. cheers

Tiddlerbasher

The bearings are virtually identical to standard ones, so I didn't take any photos. The only consideration with angular contact bearings is to make sure they are correctly orientated.

For this particular bearing the writing on the outer cage should face the L/H side of the spool and R/H sideplate

I did consider using tiny leaf springs with the dogs (there are positive advantages). But assembling the beast afterwards would be a nightmare :o. It's bad enough as it is.

Halibut

Hi, first, i´m very impressed by this forum and the incredible amount of information one can find here.
Fantastic!
I have a Andros 5II, would like to upgrade it with one of those nice looking knobs, problem is that here in Sweden it is a non existing market with that kind of "custom parts".
I have searched the net and found some dealers that may have what i am searching for.
Can anyone give me a hint to a dealer that 1: ships worldwide. 2: willl listen to my specifications, size, color, type of reel etc. and understand what i´m looking for.
Would be reel nice...

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Halibut,
I purchased mine from an Ebay shop. I think it was in Singapore. Name Anglers Vision member id chua6677  :)

Halibut

Perfect, thank you very much.

paal

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 08, 2013, 12:38:52 PM
I've been experimenting with the Andros 511. The main issue I had was the bearings binding with higher drag. So I decided to replace the left spool and pinion bearing with angular contact bearings. WOW now with 15lbs at strike and 24lbs at sunset there is virtually no binding. Full on, and in high gear, I attempted to measure any binding with a spring balance. The scales barely registered anything (.5 to 1lb). Free spool (with the new bearing) 90 secs so no impact there! From an engineering point of view the reel just feels better (less stressed maybe?).
The bearings (both the same) were from this company:

http://www.gmnbt.com/spindlebearings_S.htm
GMN Angular contact bearings S Series.

No.          Basic type                     Inner diam.        Outer diam.      Width    Speedvalue    Load        Load
                                                  d [mm]               D [mm]        b [mm]      with Oil     Dynamic    Static
208   S 619/6 C TA ABEC7 UL              6                      15                5          165000       1300        470

Hi Tiddlerbasher,
that bearing upgrade is awsome. I've been trying to do this myself, but have not been able to find the bearings. Thank you for the link! I've contacted the manufacturer in Germany directly, as I live in Norway. I don't know if they will support me on the very small quantity, but if not, maybe we could join forces with Alan. I'm sure he services some Andros reels, that could benefit from this upgrade? :)

locknut

Man thanks for the great upgrade idea. I have noticed the same issue you have had with the Andros I have. But you have hit the nail on the head with the solution. Here in New Zealand we seem at times to be on the far side of the moon when it comes to getting specialty stuff or they want to charge you like its made of solid gold. I tried the link you thoughtfully provided but they claim to have no stock I read that they don't want to ship off shore. So sent an e-mail to Germany and they put their NZ supplier onto me. Good you would think but at over $80 !!!! a bearing  all of a sudden didn't want to upgrade two reels. Out of interest how much are the bearings you got hold of? Thanks a lot for the time you put into this project Jeremy

paal

80 bucks a bearing!!!!  :-[

I guess that's the reason they use thrust bearings instead of angular contact, even if it adds volume and complexity...

Paal

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Locknut,
I paid £41.52 (each - plus tax plus shipping)  :o
Reaching for perfection has a price tage  ;D

Paal you are so right!
I am in the process of building a motorised spooling machine. Like a lever drag reel the tensioning drag produces axial forces (due to a disc brake). For this project I shall be using thrust bearings with regular ones (thrust bearings £3.64 including tax and delivery  ;D).

Halibut

Ok a fool i may be but the expression "binding" is incomprehensible to me.
Can anyone explain what kind of problem this "binding" is, and what effect it might have on the important part of using a reel(read fishing).
Translating the word to my language is useless to me. The Swedish word is "bindning" and means that something for example is connected or tied to something else.(connective. stringent, cogent)
What has this to do with the performance of a reel?

Ron Jones

Halibut,
Binding is what happens when a component is twisted out of position due to force causing it or a component connected to it to come in contact with another component when it is not supposed to. When a reel is fished so hard that the main gear is touching the side plate it cannot spin. This lack of spinning is caused by binding.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"